General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RodA
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 12:04:25
Print Post

Getting the runaround on BB speed

[link to this post]

I wonder can anyone help on this... I've been having a problem with my BB speed since April - it's a long story ...

At the end of April I started getting 1Mb or even 0Mb every evening after about 9.30 - without turning off the EE Brightbox or my laptop, I went to bed and the next morning my speed was between 2.8 and 3.4

I reported it to EE and every day for 12 days I got a call from the EE Support team in Mumbai. Every day we went through the same questions about connecting new equipment, using the BT main socket etc.

An OpenReach engineer was sent to look at the green box in my street and he said he couldn't test my line.

I complained to EE Retentions dept who put me onto a Support Team in Manchester who sent another Open Reach engineer who tested all my sockets and line from street to my house. He said everything was working fine. He also said that my Brightbox was telling him my sync speed was between 7 and 8 Mb but using my laptop and his own, speed tests were showing 2.8 or 3Mb.

He said only EE could tell me why I wasn't getting 7Mb. I phoned EE in Manchester and as if by magic I was told they could see my 'Profile' was set at 2.8. They couldn't explain why none of the other support staff hadn't seen this.

EE changed the profile and within 10 minutes I was getting 7.5Mb. This went on for the next two weeks - night and day constant 7 - 7.5Mb . Then I had to go away for a few days so turned off the Brightbox - when I came back after 4 days my speed was 3.6 and my Brightbox says my sync speed is between 3.5 and 4.1.

Now I'm back to getting zero in the evening.

EE say what the Open Reach engineer said was wrong and BT say EE is giving me the run around. I've been given various scenarios by BT and EE - including REIN, exchange problems, the line self managing, cutting costs from BT Whoilesale, damage to wires in street when BT installed fibre cables in April.

The story goes on and on but enough for now.. can anyone offer any advice on this please ?

Thank you

Rod
Standard User philippercival
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jun-14 12:34:06
Print Post

Re: Getting the runaround on BB speed

[re: RodA] [link to this post]

It does sound a little strange.

In the past I was getting the run around from another company and after a similar number of support calls, achieving very little, I decided that as I was no longer in contract, it was time to move. Problem was soon sorted.

My current provider Plusnet has been giving very good service and their UK based support is excellent although it was rather slow to get through to a little while ago due to a large influx of new customers.

http://speedtest.net/result/2459383290.png

Solar Results
Nov  143,  Dec  125,  Jan  77,  Feb 174,  Mar  210,  April 384, May 450, 
June 485, July 512, Aug 433, 
Max Day  25.2
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jun-14 12:49:42
Print Post

Please post your full router stats & Time Connected from Status page?

Your IP Profile is dependant on your Sync Speed not the other way round.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Tue 03-Jun-14 12:51:19)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RodA
(newbie) Tue 03-Jun-14 15:10:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Interleaved Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.5(ADSL2+)

Data Rate Information

Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1120 (Kbps.)
Downstream 4022 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication

Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 5.8 dB 6.3 dB
Line Attenuation 30.3 dB 49.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 1991 0
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 45 93
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 518 75
Error Seconds 40 146

Statistics

Received Cells 2362677
Transmitted Cells 169674
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Jun-14 18:59:49
Print Post

7Meg would be pretty good at that attenuation. 5 is more the norm.

Likely that the line has been slowed down to reduce errors by use of banding. The favourite habit of EE. Ideally you would have grabbed a set of stats when synced at the higher speed

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to