General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:13:12
Print Post

What sort of speed would be possible ?

[link to this post]

my friend has just had a phone line installed ( broadband next 7 days) , and is 3505m away from the exchange, the bt checker says 1mb, if the line is in good condition , could the line potentially get more.

Luckily they can should be fiber enabled in the next couple of months .

many thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:16:24
Print Post

Re: What sort of speed would be possible ?

[re: bob12345] [link to this post]

3505 in a straight line from the exchange or actual cable length?

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.htm... gives some ADSL2+ speed versus distance estimates. What speed you get depends on the actual line length.

The checker is just an estimate, so it will not limit their ADSL/ADSl2+ speed, what will limit it is the actual attenuation of the line (i.e. its actual length)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bob12345
(regular) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:32:15
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, am not sure if straight line or cable length?, that was the figure SamKnows gave on their website for UK exchange mapping

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 05-Jun-14 16:38:38
Print Post

That is straight line, so a safe bet is a line length of 3.5km * 1.4 =~ 5km. Could be longer, could be shorter, given a postcode we can get a better estimate often.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mlmclaren
(member) Thu 05-Jun-14 23:45:12
Print Post

I'm also that length ( 3.5km straight line) from the exchange, my line length is actually just under 6km..

I had Sky installed to test the speed though I didn't plan to use it long as FTTN (HFC) was available but wanted to get an idea.

The Openreach engineer who came to activate the broadband got the line length for me and told me that it was probably one of the best quality lines in the UK he has ever connected...

I was estimated 1.9-3mbps download, I got 2.08mbps and very stable.. But cancelled it after 30 days as I didn't plan to keep it.

My estimate now via Sky and BT Wholesale checker has dropped from 2mbps to 1mbps (0.5-3.0mbps)

I would estimate that you would probably get 1Mbps and as already mentioned if the line is good.

Different providers vary though..

Its a gamble I'm afraid.

Do keep me informed on what you get when installed as I would be interested to compare.

Print Thread

Jump to