General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User pan01
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 20:14:30
Print Post

Broadband company does not recongise me as a customer

[link to this post]

I have BB but my current BB provider doesn't have any record of me as a customer.
I moved house 3 years ago and that is when they claim to have disconnected my BB. Although I moved house my telephone number remained the same, and I remember telling them about my move.
My BB provider also provides me with telephone calls so i assumed that bills i received inc BB and phone calls but when I phoned them up a few months ago they were clear that the BB was disconnected and they don't consider me a BB customer and are only providing me telephone calls.
They claim that another company is providing my BB. However, I have phoned up the company (Virgin) who provided BB to the family who lived at my current address prior to my move and they confirmed they aren't providing BB.

I have spent weeks phoning people, speaking to managers but they still refuse to recongise me as a BB customer and claim that my line is active by mistake through an exchange.

I don't know what else to do now, they are refusing to accept me as a BB customer. i am worried that if the recongise their error they will claim they didnt have a valid contract with me and will charge me per MB or gig. I have offered to pay for all the months i have used BB at the rate of the contract which was in place 3 years ago but they have refused this offer.

what could i do?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jun-14 20:18:06
Print Post

Re: Broadband company does not recongise me as a customer

[re: pan01] [link to this post]

Order through a different ISP ?

Standard User pan01
(newbie) Mon 09-Jun-14 20:31:25
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Other ISP want a MAC code which i cannot get as my current BB does not think its providing me with any BB.

My main concern is that they do accept their error and agree i am receiving BB from them but then charge me per gig used which will cause problems.

Is there any independent body i could speak to about this? i would ideally like to get resolved asap

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:26:36
Print Post

Ofcom ?

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:40:25
Print Post

If you PM me your IP address I an establish which ISP is actually providing the broadband. As I understand your post, your old one and Virgin both deny doing so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:40:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by pan01:
they will claim they didn't have a valid contract with me and will charge me per MB or gig.
They can't do that. They would have no contractual right to entitle them to charge you. They couldn't have their cake & eat it!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:42:26
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

As long as he has denial emails. Phone conversations could be difficult.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:43:25
Print Post

To find out which ISP is supplying you, put your extenal IP in here: http://whois.domaintools.com/

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Jun-14 21:49:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Eh? I don't follow you! Either they do deny by any medium or, If they don't deny, then OP has a valid 3 year-old contract that specifies the charges he is to pay.

And anyway, it was just a postulate on part of OP on what might happen.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 09-Jun-14 21:55:40)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 09-Jun-14 22:59:35
Print Post

You only need a MAC if you already have service. As you don't have any Broadband (or so you are told) you should be able to start as a new customer. Ask the ISP to start you afresh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to