General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Fri 20-Jun-14 10:33:27
Print Post

BT Lock In Period

[link to this post]

Having troubles with BT Infinity Option 2 at the moment, and thinking of moving to plusnet.

I really want a static IP. Amongst other things, I'm cheesed off with BT TV, BT Sport, etc.

Anyway, question is, how can I tell from the BT website what (if any) my remaining contract term is ? It got extended one time when I stupidly added BT Sport free option that I never used, so I can't just look at my order date for when I started with Infinity.

Currently paying £56 for phone and broadband. Hoping maybe I can even do cheaper. I need around 200GB/month, and static ip would be great. But I do need to know my contract period, preferably without speaking to a human.

Thanks
Standard User RossMcG
(learned) Fri 20-Jun-14 11:50:49
Print Post

Re: BT Lock In Period

[re: HarpingOn] [link to this post]

Have you looked at a DNS supplier to resolve the IP situation? I have a dynamic ip but use this : https://www.dlinkddns.com to remote access everything as a soloution to not having a static IP. Not an answer to your question but may be of some help.

Also it is possible to get the service free (I certainly didnt pay!)
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jun-14 12:56:07
Print Post

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

That service is only for D-Link users.

Oliver.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RossMcG
(learned) Fri 20-Jun-14 13:28:34
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

There is a way round it, I dont have a D-Link router I have the standard sky router. I forget how you get the free account now but im sure a google search will assist.

I use the account to control my NAS / Torrent Clients & Access my router stats remotely.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jun-14 13:37:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
There is a way round it, I dont have a D-Link router I have the standard sky router. I forget how you get the free account now but im sure a google search will assist.

You can ignore the T&C which state that you must be a D-Link user to sign up, but they may terminate the account without notice if they find out.

I think the system mostly works on (dis)honesty though.

Oliver.
Standard User RossMcG
(learned) Fri 20-Jun-14 14:13:44
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I'm covered as one of my NAS's is a D-Link, funny enough its the one I hacked to install half my stuff on smile

There are other DNS providers, thats the only one I know (and know of thats free).

I think there is mention of other DNS services in the sky router admin page, these are paid services if memory serves though.

Sorry if it seems the thread has been hijacked, just offering a possible soloution withoput the hastle of changing ISP.
Standard User HarpingOn
(regular) Fri 20-Jun-14 14:38:50
Print Post

I'm a DynDNS Pro user, but that's still not quite the same as a static IP.

For instance, I've had times when my dyndns has failed to update, leaving me cut off.

Anyway. I really wanted to know where on the BT Broadband/BT web site I can see when my term ends

It seems likely to me that I'll have to call them frown
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jun-14 14:52:41
Print Post

Don't forget they signed up to the OfCom reduced rate contract payoff, so it wouldn't be the full outstanding full price contract.

You may also find that the phone now expires before the broadband. I expect you would want to move both, to avoid the Plusnet setup fee and the higher broadband cost.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Jun-14 15:54:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
I think there is mention of other DNS services in the sky router admin page, these are paid services if memory serves though.

Unfortunately DynDNS is the only option for dynamic DNS in the Sky Hub. Some have suggested breaking the T&C of D-Link DNS to get a free DynDNS hostname.

There is a lot of support for adding free alternatives to the Sky Hub: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Community-Suggestions-Bo...

Oliver.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 20-Jun-14 16:03:11
Print Post

IMHO I got a good retention deal from BT by committing to a service for a further 24 months, so I think before you jump ship you should explore the possibility of switching to BT Business which will give you that all important fixed IP and also exclude you from BT Sport.

It is good to stumble upon another user who appreciates calling home and understands the shortcomings of DDNS.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to