General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 20-Jun-14 14:57:44
Print Post

Physical move of cabinet

[link to this post]

The cabinet I am connected to isn't in an ideal position and therefore is being moved with civil works now under way. We are talking about the original cabinet and not its FTTC twin which went live last October. To me this is some job and I would be most surprised if subscriber outages were only of a minimum duration. So what outage period can be expected? Are we likely to be notified when it would happen?

The distance between the old and new cabinet to its FTTC twin is an insignificant change of distance so my expectations are not to see any change in broadband speed when the job is finished. True or false expectations?

Surprisingly the replacement cabinet is very much larger than the original one. Why would that be? This June 2009 picture http://tinyurl.com/q7gp5q9 shows what was, I believe, the former post office and telephone exchange but is now a private dwelling. It has in its front garden the existing cabinet and three manholes containing telephone caballing. I guess the owner has demanded that this plant is removed. Its FTTC twin was placed outside against the fence.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Jun-14 15:09:34
Print Post

Re: Physical move of cabinet

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Your distance is the sum of the cable distance between the two cabinets and your cable distance from the new PCP cab.

You still connect through the latter. So depending on where that moves to you may even get a small improvement.

(I can't see the original cabinet in that picture, unless its under the hedge towards the right).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 20-Jun-14 15:09:53)

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 20-Jun-14 15:47:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Your distance is the sum of the cable distance between the two cabinets and your cable distance from the new PCP cab.

You still connect through the latter. So depending on where that moves to you may even get a small improvement.

(I can't see the original cabinet in that picture, unless its under the hedge towards the right).

The FTTC cabinet was not there in June 2009 but was subsequently located against the fence on the Milford Road side. The original cabinet #1 is to be found right under the living room window of the dwelling, but the fence is so high it can't been seen from the camera car. The new cabinet foundations are now in and have been located on the grass verge against the fence.

Might get lucky in getting a slightly better speed if only because all the equipment is newish but if a contractor does the work, I might find myself back to ADSL speeds!

Is there such a thing as a combination cabinet for both FTTC and POTS. The new cabinet is absolutely huge?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 20-Jun-14 16:48:34
Print Post

Is there such a thing as a combination cabinet for both FTTC and POTS.

There is but they are generally for e/o solutions and you stated there is already a DSLAM cabinet . you say its huge which makes me suspicious its actually a BT cabinet at all
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Fri 20-Jun-14 18:00:20
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ribble:
Is there such a thing as a combination cabinet for both FTTC and POTS.

There is but they are generally for e/o solutions and you stated there is already a DSLAM cabinet . you say its huge which makes me suspicious its actually a BT cabinet at all

There are signs which gives the permit number for the works and another to say that the works are on behalf of BT. Ducting has been laid between the telecom manhole and the new cabinet position. I spoke to the site personnel who were quite happy to say what they were doing. I'll post a picture once the protective wrapping is off the 'box'.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Jun-14 20:00:07
Print Post

So what outage period can be expected? Are we likely to be notified when it would happen?

Little or none, and I doubt you will.

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Sat 21-Jun-14 09:35:56
Print Post

Maybe a mobile operators cabinet and the duct work is to connect to the openreach network.
Depends what you mean by huge. A combined cabinet is just a bit wider , and even the largest PCP shells arnt that big in comparison.

Edited by Ribble (Sat 21-Jun-14 09:41:11)

Standard User alexatkin
(learned) Sat 21-Jun-14 19:05:54
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Its probably that the old cabinet was small and the new cabinet is a standard modern BT cabinet.

Then again as the property used to be a telephone exchange its hard to know what they are moving into the new cabinet. Perhaps there are other cable junctions in the man holes they also want accessible from the street?
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 22-Jun-14 23:12:53
Print Post

[re: alexatkin] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by alexatkin:
Its probably that the old cabinet was small and the new cabinet is a standard modern BT cabinet.

Then again as the property used to be a telephone exchange its hard to know what they are moving into the new cabinet. Perhaps there are other cable junctions in the man holes they also want accessible from the street?

A collection of pictures for you to mull over at www.cyberpictures.net/cab

The existing cabinet #1 is in the garden of the dwelling. Its FTTC twin is out on the pavement. By its side is an unwrapped cabinet which is assumed will be manhandled to be positioned over the ducts coming out of the ground. The unwrapped cabinet is somewhat larger than the original cabinet #1.

My thoughts are that the new cabinet is a replacement for the one in the garden. The FTTC twin arrived last October and was quickly over subscribed twice. I guess there has been so much activity with FTTC provisioning to subscribers that the dwelling owners have told BT to remove their plant from their property.

I am connected to cabinet #1 with an FTTC service. My thoughts are that having a new cabinet #1 must mean a loss of both POTS and FTTC which might go on for some time. I am just surprised that I have not been advised of this possibility.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jun-14 23:42:06
Print Post

The unwrapped (working?) cabinet is a Huawei 288 FTTC. The wrapped one could be as per the middle of the top row on this page. It looks about the right size. I can't see the door handles or the locks because of the wrapping.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 22-Jun-14 23:43:58)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to