General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User oldswan
(newbie) Fri 27-Jun-14 11:59:27
Print Post

Moving house

[link to this post]

In a couple of weeks I am supposed to be moving house, assuming the lawyers can get their respective fingers out.
Currently I have a BT phone line and Demon broadband. The new house currently has its phone and broadband from Sky who tell me that they will transfer the service to me with minimal delay.
I would prefer to do this than move to BT for both services as they are quoting a long lead time for changeover. I no longer need Demon because of the change in my circumstances.
My question is what do I have to do about closing my BT account and my Demon account. Do I need to get a MAC from Demon for the purchaser of my house or is that his problem?
None of the companies websites give guidance on moving and changing ISP at he same time.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jun-14 12:07:55
Print Post

Re: Moving house

[re: oldswan] [link to this post]

Personally I would be dubious that Sky can move it over for you any quicker than any other supplier. I don't believe they can just transfer a connection over to a new customer on moving in (I may be wrong but I would be very careful of getting taken in by what could be clever sales speak).

A MAC code isn't going to help. Essentially you would be cancelling the current line and taking out a new one with Sky at the new address. Doing anything else would be liable to error. You may have to pay a fee for cancelling the current line/broadband.

And you don't need a MAC for the new purchaser as a MAC is only relevant for migrating - the purchaser will not be migrating as once you cancel there will be nothing to migrate (there is no process to migrate between customers except if it is just a change of name within the same household).
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 27-Jun-14 12:59:43
Print Post

[re: oldswan] [link to this post]

I would not believe Sky ... get them to put it in writing with a £10/hour fee for late delivery!

BT homemover give part of the answer http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... Your basic service can be there on day 1. Talk to Demon about getting their service transferred or ask BT if they have a deal for a new BB customer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:36:44
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Personally I would be dubious that Sky can move it over for you any quicker than any other supplier. I don't believe they can just transfer a connection over to a new customer on moving in (I may be wrong but I would be very careful of getting taken in by what could be clever sales speak).

I can't see why not. If the line is currently connected to Sky's MPF equipment, it should be a billing switch with no engineer required. Switching to BT or Talktalk would require an engineer with a lead time.

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-Jun-14 13:57:08
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Theoretically yes but I have never seen any proof that a supplier has been able to do that. I am suggesting that I would investigate further to see if anyone had every managed to do it rather than assume that the Sky employee was doing anything other than lock someone in to a contract.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 27-Jun-14 14:01:34
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Theoretically yes but I have never seen any proof that a supplier has been able to do that.

Do what? Join a broadband provider without an engineer being required at the exchange?

Oliver.
  Print Thread

Jump to