General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 08:56:46
Print Post

Zen Office

[link to this post]

I run a village community broadband outdoor wifi system which feeds 8 houses, I have always used Zen Office for the incoming feed because of the Traffic Prioritisation.
Recently I have noticed the evening speeds are running very slow, below are yesterdays results, the evening ones are relatively good, sometimes they go as low as 2.5Mbps on the HTTP test.The reading were taken with the village system disconnected and my computer wired to the router.

9.00am
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14048...

5.00pm
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14049...

9.30pm
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14049...

I am assuming this is caused by exchange congestion, it is an exchange only line from the next village MYBBY.

A user who has recently changed from our system to BT because of the speed problem is getting a virtually constant 6.0 Mbps so presumably Bt has its own route through the exchange.

So my question is am I wasting money paying for Traffic Prioritisation? Or could I move to the Zen Pro, considerable cheaper but no TP, without any noticeable effect. I have rung Zen support on a couple of occasions but not got any definitive answer.

Hopes this all makes sense and thanks for any help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Jul-14 10:48:27
Print Post

Re: Zen Office

[re: agkq62] [link to this post]

IPStream or WBC at the exchange?

You can have multiple blocks of data leaving an exchange on both, so need a wider sample of users to find out it exchange or something Zen may have control over

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 11:37:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply , it is IPStream ADSLmax

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-Jul-14 12:06:33
Print Post

OK when it was more popular it was not unusual for some providers to be congested and others not, in addition to the size of the BT Central connection each provider rents.

Main benefit was that Max got you the higher upload, which if sharing will help a little. The priority side of things never really seemed to do much.

Have you double checked that TalkTalk does not have LLU on the exchange?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 13:41:04
Print Post

Exchange is Brandsby MYBBY no LLU.

From your comments it seems a change to Zen Pro shouldn't give any slower download speeds than I am already getting.

Edited by agkq62 (Thu 10-Jul-14 13:42:33)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Jul-14 13:53:28
Print Post

You would lose half the upstream speed, which shared amongst eight might be noticeable.
Upload speeds are "up to 448Kbps" on Lite, Active and Pro and "up to 832Kbps" on our business services, Office and Office Max.
on this page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 10-Jul-14 13:55:31)

Standard User agkq62
(learned) Thu 10-Jul-14 16:02:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The village system is just run as a basic internet feed for web browsing and email so I am correct that the upload speed isn't critical?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Jul-14 16:08:00
Print Post

You are probably correct. It just depends how "good" your users are smile. Really, I posted to make you aware, in case you weren't smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Jul-14 19:52:53
Print Post

I used to experience the same with Zen on ADSLMax so I moved to Daisy LLU and never looked back. I am now with Enta via Vivaciti and so far so good, no slow downs although I am on WBC.

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14044...
Standard User agkq62
(regular) Sat 12-Jul-14 14:00:46
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info, I will give Zen Pro a try a see what happens.
  Print Thread

Jump to