General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User sjdean
(member) Thu 10-Jul-14 20:51:54
Print Post

Reuse Mac code if I cancel under Cooling Off Period

[link to this post]

Hrm. PlusNet's online systems don't give me a great deal of confidence in that it's not exactly showing me confirmation that I will retain the same number and there's a couple of other niggles, like being charged for a service that isn't going live for at least two weeks. Backs up already!

I can see a charge for the phone service I've ordered, but no where have I got a confirmation that they're transferring my number.

So will give them time to answer and then if I don't get anything positive, want to know:

If I cancel under the cooling off period assuming neither the FTTC broadband has been installed or the phone line transferred, can I halt migration, retain existing DSL service and Phone provider, then provide Mac code in a new order to, ooh, say, Zen?

Simon

CompuServe > PIPEX > Demon > BlueYonder > plusnet > Be*
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 10-Jul-14 21:33:27
Print Post

Re: Reuse Mac code if I cancel under Cooling Off Period

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

You would need a new MAC. As it has been submitted to Openreach by Plusnet it is now dead. You would also need to ensure your existing suppliers had not applied the use of the MAC and the Openreach notification of line transfer to instigate a notice period from you.

No CP will guarantee number retention on a transfer. As far as I know that is because Openreach do not.

I think I have only heard of two cases where it has been lost, both being down to major cock-ups somewhere. Could have been the losing provider, the gaining one, or Openreach. Or the user cancelling the move at a critical point. I don't remember the details, only that non-normal things led up to it.

Maybe it was a "notice period" thing.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 10-Jul-14 21:45:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
No CP will guarantee number retention on a transfer.
Even on a within-BTw WLR transfer, where only the line rental billing is being transferred, not the physical ownership of the line? It surely must be more work to change the # than retain it.

Remind me to never transfer my phone line grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 10-Jul-14 21:46:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sjdean
(member) Fri 11-Jul-14 08:00:14
Print Post

You would need a new MAC. As it has been submitted to Openreach by Plusnet it is now dead. You would also need to ensure your existing suppliers had not applied the use of the MAC and the Openreach notification of line transfer to instigate a notice period from you.

What if it hasn't?

There's no sign of PlusNet actually having done anything yet. I've got no cancellation date from Sky, no communication from BT, PlusNet haven't said anything about ordering the line yet, scheduling an engineer, they haven't delivered the router, and they haven't said anything about ordering the phone service which alledgedly occurs two to three weeks after the broadband activation.

They've been good at taking my money though.

Im hopefuly but I don't want to jinx it.

Simon

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 11-Jul-14 09:55:02
Print Post

For the ISP to sit on the MAC and do nothing would be odd, part of the order system with the wholesaler will be to add the mac with the order and as soon as that is done it has been used.

A provider may wait for an initial payment to clear, i.e. you look to be real

But it is best to assume a MAC has been used and get a new one, plus you need to check the existing ISP resets your notice period, since if the clock is running and you don't move in time they might turn off bits of the account.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 11-Jul-14 13:48:45
Print Post

Have you had a date for the broadband migration, as opposed to the date you selected in the ordering process?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User sjdean
(member) Fri 11-Jul-14 19:49:03
Print Post

Have you had a date for the broadband migration, as opposed to the date you selected in the ordering process?

I've had no communication from anyone apart from an order confirmation which is really just a thank you note.

I have a portal login which just says things are in progress. Nothing else.

Standard User partial
(committed) Fri 11-Jul-14 21:41:58
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Number ranges are owned by the telcos, nothing to do with Openreach.

The number is always owned by the original provider of the number .

The first thing is whether the original provider of the number has a portability agreement with the telco you are moving to.

The second thing is whether the new telco can be bothered to faff around with number portability.

Portability deals are complex. You can guarantee a number owned by BT will have portability. You can guarantee a number owned by Virgin can be ported to BT. When the other telcos own the number, all bets are off.

Edited by partial (Fri 11-Jul-14 21:44:28)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 11-Jul-14 22:20:51
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Yes on all that but I was asking about within WLR transfers.

Surely a BT # is auto transferred to another WLR provider, particularly PN in this instance, particularly when PN uses that # to accept the order in the 1st place.

Does PN even have its own pool of #s? Doesn't it just leech off BT?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to