General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User OU_MSc_student
(newbie) Tue 15-Jul-14 13:55:20
Print Post

Short survey link - Open University MSc survey request

[link to this post]

Greetings,

I am an Open University Masters student in the final thesis year.
As part of my thesis I am conducting a survey into views of Internet users in the context of how you feel about having to contact your ISP if your Internet connection experienced an outage.

There are just six questions and the survey takes less than a couple of minutes to complete.

All data is held securely. All answers will be anonymous and the result will be an analysis of the amalgamated data.

Applicability for this survey is:

• UK Internet users only
  • The Internet connection must have had an outage requiring notification to the ISP
  • The ISP have run tests

If you are applicable for this survey, please can you answer the six questions by accessing the URL below

Survey

Many thanks for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated

AS

(Apologies if this request is against forum rules - I have checked and cannot find any details disallowing it)

Edited by OU_MSc_student (Wed 16-Jul-14 00:59:52)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 15-Jul-14 14:53:24
Print Post

Re: Short survey link - Open University MSc survey request

[re: OU_MSc_student] [link to this post]

I don't qualify, as no internet outage for many years and none with my current ISP.

However, your link does not appear in your post. You can edit the post for up to 12 hours. You need to remove the space between url= and http

However, the data may be held securely, but the collection is http not https.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(newbie) Wed 16-Jul-14 00:49:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that RobertoS

Changes made now.

Agreed that the transport is not secure unfortuately. Questions are not ethically iffy though smile

AS

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 06:43:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Likewise... have not had an internet outage in years.
Standard User brandscill
(committed) Wed 16-Jul-14 08:03:25
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Unfortunately I've been with the Post Office, BT and Virgin Media so the likelihood of me having an outage was always going to be pretty high.

Survey done!

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User B31
(learned) Wed 16-Jul-14 21:07:32
Print Post

It annoys me when they say "if we find out it is a fault in your house, we will charge you £130"

OUCH

And then the engineer says it is a network fault

And then BT confirm they've added a charge to your bill (in error)

ARRRGGHGHHHH!

(It was refunded before the direct debit came out though, thanks to a very helpful bloke on the social media team)

BT ADSL customer getting 1.9 Mbps on a new road / new build development
CAB not FTTC enabled, not part of the 66% commercial plan. Not rural - no BDUK funding
(Virgin Media nearby)
Standard User vit0
(member) Wed 16-Jul-14 21:57:52
Print Post

It seems like questions are very one sided and seem to push the subject towards the suggestion that automation is better.

Lee
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Thu 17-Jul-14 12:27:32
Print Post

Done,

However, I wished I could have explained or said more to be honest.
I have been with TalkTalk, for a long time, ever since they started FTTC to be honest.

I have had two outages in all that time on a line that is normally rock solid and 37.7mbps down and 2.0mbps up for a very reasonable fee along with free phone to anywhere, anytime. Which suits me fine smile

B U T if there is a problem, wow!!!!
the last time, or second time I had a problem, was only two months ago, I was pushed from pillar to post, mainly with people who could not understand me !!!!
Just to clarify, I have a normal voice, with no discernible accent.
I have been in IT since 1976 and have just retired early, thanks to the high payments that were made to IT folks in the early and middle years smile

However, IMHO, speaking to TalkTalk and trying to get a fault fixed is one of the most harrowing, frightening and almost impossible things to do on this earth!

It was a fault at the exchange, my tests prior to ringing them, showed it was and I stuck to my guns. First they said it was because I was using an Asus Dual Band NT-R66U Modem/Router in my house!!! Then three days later, (you have to wait 72hours in between calls whilst they test the lines etc,), They blamed my internal wiring, then 3 days later they blamed me for constantly turning on and off my BT Modem or whatever it is. I hadn't touched the dam thing in almost three years!!!!
Anyway, they kept blaming all sorts, each with a 72 hour interval!!! When I threatened to just leave they said OK !!!! But an hour later I got a call from someone who said can we do one more test? I said yes, and by the end of the day the system was at half speed and by the morning was completely restored to exactly what it was before the outage. I never saw an engineer at our premises and neither did one drive down our road which is a dead end, the whole of our road and house is covered by our CCTV in agreement with our neighbours.
Yet this miracle had happened.
This was all after THREE WEEKS of no broadband but a perfectly working phone with no distortion or anything.

So when I think that I may have to ring TalkTalk support, my main feeling is DREAD and HORROR !!!!

Regards,
Trevor

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/13872...
2 x TalkTalk upto 40mb FTTC lines, current speeds a good 37mbps on each one.(hiding behind an assortment of Asus RT-N66U Dual Band, DGND3700v2 Dual Band, DG834PN and DGN2000 routers) on: a Win7 64 Ult (RTM) Desktop, Win8 x64 Pro (RTM) ) Desktop & Win 8 x64 Pro (RTM) Laptop, 3 x iPads, 1 x Archos 700, assorted Printers and Mobile phones etc and an 8ch CCTV system embedded into the Network.
(newbie) Mon 04-Aug-14 10:47:17
Print Post

Many thanks everyone for participating - I have had 84 responses from 5 Internet forums to date. These are for fixed-line only outages. This is a good response number over the period.

This survey will continue until the 24 August 2014 so any more survey participants would be much appreciated.

Edited by OU_MSc_student (Mon 04-Aug-14 10:47:57)

(newbie) Thu 28-Aug-14 10:57:45
Print Post

Thank you all again who participated in this survey which ended 24 August 2014 and to those who expressed interest in it but did not qualify to take the survey

Over 5 forums there were 102 participants of which 65 answered all of the questions.

As the results are unique data, I will post them in this thread after the thesis has been marked.

Thanks again

smile
  Print Thread

Jump to