General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User servrr
(newbie) Thu 17-Jul-14 21:24:11
Print Post

Sky adsl 'upgrade' has practically killed internet speed

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Sky recently upgraded my parents ADSL line from a fixed 2MB connection to Max. However since this was done their internet speed is absolutely DIRE!

Prior to the upgrade they would get a solid 1.7MB on speedtest.net, now they get anything from 0 (yes ZERO) to 0.5!!

Assuming this was just a learning curve, i told them to wait it out a few days....but it got no better.

I logged into their router (a TP-Link 8840T), which showed that they were synced at over 8MB (8624kb..or something similar). Thinking that it was maybe just a misconfiguration, i factory reset the router and configured it from scratch....which made no difference.

They have filters where they need them, they are plugged directly into the router, Sky have also confirmed that they are synced at 8MB and can see no issue with the connection.

I'm stumped!!!!

As a footnote, we also tried plugging in their original Sky router. This would not connect at all....but maybe that's for a different reason.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 17-Jul-14 23:19:18
Print Post

Re: Sky adsl 'upgrade' has practically killed internet speed

[re: servrr] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by servrr:
they were synced at over 8MB (8624kb..or something similar).
That's not ADSL Max which tops out @ 8128K, but ADSL2+.
we also tried plugging in their original Sky router. This would not connect at all....but maybe that's for a different reason
If they were on 2 Meg Fixed it is likely they only had a USB ADSL1 modem not a router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Jul-14 23:46:07
Print Post

Attenuation and noise margin with actual sync speeds are worth a look

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Banger
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Jul-14 01:03:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Does Sky have DLM?

Tim
www.vivaciti.net & freenetname
Billion 7800 on 24 Meg Enta
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14044...
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 18-Jul-14 10:25:40
Print Post

What modem are they using? Some modems don't get on well with ADSL2+. It's rare but I have first-hand experience of a Cisco box whose HWICs struggled to maintain a connection.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19...
and
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r14317382-WIC-1ADSL-...

I doubt your parents are using Cisco kit but it's proof that 'upgrading' to ADSL2+ can be step backward with some hardware. In this case hardware that is outrageously expensive - this is a card that should support it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-Port-ADSL-HWIC-Annex/d...

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Edited by Andrue (Fri 18-Jul-14 10:29:25)

Standard User servrr
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 10:34:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by servrr:
they were synced at over 8MB (8624kb..or something similar).
That's not ADSL Max which tops out @ 8128K, but ADSL2+.
we also tried plugging in their original Sky router. This would not connect at all....but maybe that's for a different reason
If they were on 2 Meg Fixed it is likely they only had a USB ADSL1 modem not a router.

Thanks for the correction re Max.

Regarding the router...they definitely had a sky router (not modem) - A white Netgear one.

In reply to a post by Andrue:
What modem are they using? Some modems don't get on well with ADSL2+. It's rare but I have first-hand experience of a Cisco box whose HWICs struggled to maintain a connection.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=19...
and
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r14317382-WIC-1ADSL-...

I doubt your parents are using Cisco kit but it's proof that 'upgrading' to ADSL2+ can be step backward with some hardware. In this case hardware that is outrageously expensive - this is a card that should support it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-Port-ADSL-HWIC-Annex/d...

For the past 6 months they have been using a TP-Link router (see first post) that they purchased so they could use Wireless-N. It was brand new and supports ADSL2+. I tried upgrading the firmware on it, but this has not helped.

Edited by servrr (Fri 18-Jul-14 10:45:22)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Jul-14 10:51:34
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

He says it is sync'ed at over 8Mbps. As has been requested, we could do with the full stats.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User servrr
(newbie) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:03:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He says it is sync'ed at over 8Mbps. As has been requested, we could do with the full stats.

Will be visiting my folks this weekend so will get a full dump of their stats then. I do remember that their SNR was ~ 36 db though.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 18-Jul-14 11:19:05
Print Post

Hmmm. 8Mbps and 36dB SNRM? Doubtful except on FTTC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 18-Jul-14 14:02:53
Print Post

[re: Banger] [link to this post]

Yes but from description so far looks to be Connect on BT Wholesale platform

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to