General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ugg1
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 08:38:39
Print Post

Possible fault - Deteriorating download.. Now upload?

[link to this post]

Hi,

We have a fairly long telephone line, and has always been bad. We started getting a lucky 2400(ish) kbps connection when the "up to" services started (ADSL Max?) around 6 or 7 years ago i guess. This has been getting progressively slower over time to now more consistently in the 1600-1800 kbps range.

Recently this has been getting even worse, and is starting the effect the upload. It had consistently been the 448kbps maximum ever since we have got it.

I have been noticing alot more dropout, or innstances where the modem (Netgear D6300) would hold the synch, but the SNR would be around 1 dB and the amount of errors would result in webpages unable to load. This has co-incided with vastly variable downstream and upstream connections.

Downstream between 1200kbps and 1800kbps
Upstream between 80kbps and 396 kbps.

As i said, we have never previously had an issue hitting the 448 kbps upstream limit.
Downstream was always around the 2400kbps when we first got upto 8mb, but now more consistently 1800kbps.

After a little reading I am thinking this is a fault? especially because it is hitting the upstream?

My current line stats are as follows:

Downstream:
Connection - 1358kbps (worst I have seen in a LONG time - after a resync this morning)
Attenuation - 69.5 db
SNR - 6.3 db

Upstream:
Connection - 396 kbps
Attenuation - 41.2 db
SNR - 6 db

Our ISB is Plusnet. And yes I am aware this is a very long line and lucky to have it even working. Just seems suspect that it has degraded this far. And no Bt infinity nor Virgin cable are not available, they are in the town but deemed our (affluent) estate not worthy of cabling.

I was going to go to Plusnet to day for a diagnostic, I would just like to ask your opinions so I have some addition information to push at plusnet.

Thanks for your time,

Greg
Standard User Ugg1
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 09:23:26
Print Post

Re: Possible fault - Deteriorating download.. Now upload?

[re: Ugg1] [link to this post]

Just to add to this, I was monitoring the line stats whilst in the customer service queue, and some pretty nasty crackling occured just as the upstream SNR went bananas.

Resynched to a higher downstream of 1554kbps but much lower upsteam of 84kbps (SNR of 8???)
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Mon 21-Jul-14 09:57:35
Print Post

Get a (free) copy of Router Stats Light and set it running to monitor your upstream SNR and sync with samples every 15 seconds. Leave it running for 24 hours (minimum).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Mon 21-Jul-14 10:14:51
Print Post

That "crackling" indicates that you should do some Quiet Line Tests first.

Unplug what yiu can at the NTE (Network Terminating box - where the incoming phone line "enters" your property).

If it is a recent NTE5 White Box, remove the lower front part, two simple screws, to expose the Test Socket.

Plug preferably a corded (older/simpler) phone in to that Test Socket.

Dial 17070

Select Option 2 (Option 4 if SKY)

If there are any untoward noises (apart from a very low hum), eg "snap, crackle, pop", dialling tones, crackling etc, try agin with an xDSL Splitter included.

If the noises remain, REPORT this a s PHONE Line problem, to your PHONE PROVIDER, avoiding mentioning Broadband.

It may be worth repeating this QLT particularly during extreme weather, as some faults only show up in such conditions.

---------------------------------

If your Phone Line passes the QLT, reconnect everything normally; and repeat the QLTs from a suitable extension.

If you now hear "untoward" noises, they are coming from either your own equipment whether PC related or not, or from an extraneous source, which may be in your own household or near neighbours.

If from within your own household, it is your responsibility to sort it.

If from a neighbour .....

-----------------------------------

assuming you get any problems cleared, you should repeat the QLT occasionally, rather like testing the tyre pressures on a car.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Jul-14 10:46:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Setting it to save the graphs, including on closing, and preferably save to a log file as well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Ugg1
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:57:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Just an update - fairly sure this is to do with the crackling on the line. I have done the suggested QLT going into the master socket, and do get intermittent bursts of crackle. So will be reporting this to BT and as suggested, not saying anything about ADSL.

Just to eliminate everything else, I also changed filters, direct to the master socket. I plugged in the old 2wire 2700GHV to see if the chipset helped to no avail.

Forcing ADSL 1 helped the attenuation and downstream alot... and also helped the upstream for a while (fixed at 448)

however this has since died and the upstream is now a lowly 32kbps (but downstream 1800kbps).

Just out of curiosity, what do they do when fixing the crackling? what causes it? High resistance?
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jul-14 16:53:42
Print Post

Just out of curiosity, what do they do when fixing the crackling? what causes it? High resistance?

Yep, usually an HR fault.
So will be reporting this to BT and as suggested, not saying anything about ADSL.

This advice is often given on these boards, and I wholly disagree with it. You'll most likely get a noob engineer out on a CDTA task who'll pronounce the line as testing OK and you'll get stuck with a charge.

Since it's the broadband you are having issue with, then report it as such.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 17:06:46
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The reason it is suggested so much is that it is usually a line fault and fixing that will normally fix the broadband, whereas it was the norm for years that reporting a broadband fault resulted in No fault found. Not only that but the callout to line faults seemed much more responsive.

Openreach diagnostics and/or the broadband engineer training may have improved, but that is where the advice stems from.

Similarly it was much more common than it is now for the phone and broadband to be from different CPs. If when reporting a crackling line to the rental CP the user mentioned broadband, they would be told to contact their ISP instead. If they did that we are back to my first paragraph.

You may well be right nowadays, but historically it wasn't so.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Jul-14 19:23:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

TBF, it was more my usual reaction to eckidoo's posts, the poster seems incapable of posting on here without suggesting a quiet line test ???

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 19:53:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

smile
Ah, I thought I'd seen several suggestions over the last couple of months of quiet line tests where there was nothing in the described problem that indicated it was the next step, but I hadn't thought to look at who was posting them.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to