General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Badwolf53
(newbie) Thu 24-Jul-14 13:48:50
Print Post

Putting a WiFi antenna in the shed...

[link to this post]

I am extending an ethernet cable to my shed, using about 40 meters of cable. I also want to attach a wifi antenna so I can get wireless access in the garden. I was looking for something to plug into one of 4 ethernet sockets I will be installing into the shed. I might also consider putting an ethernet hub in there instead of just a wall socket. Would love to hear from the experts on the pros & cons.

I'm not looking to make the shed into a Bat-Cave, but I will have a laptop in it occasionally, but don't want to have to leave it in there all the time just to service a wifi antenna.

I am currently using BT Infinity broadband, and have bought a Netgear 8 port switch (GS308) which I will put into the roofspace, from which I will eventually feed ethernet into the rest of the house, with one port bringing the cable to the shed.

Any suggestions for a novice?

Thanks in advance,

Harry
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 24-Jul-14 14:16:29
Print Post

Re: Putting a WiFi antenna in the shed...

[re: Badwolf53] [link to this post]

If just for the shed and sitting on a chair outside then something like this TP Link Access point will sit on the end of the Ethernet and give you wireless.

Putting an Ethernet switch into the shed might be useful, and are cheap enough at around £10 each too.

Better access points are available but sheds are probably not the best place to have expensive kit, since a few ants/spiders in a case can kill hardware.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User carrobesit
(learned) Thu 24-Jul-14 16:04:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Or if you do want to go down the route of specific outdoor hardware, you can look at the UniFi stuff by Ubiquiti. I have put this access point in a few places now and it works a treat.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 24-Jul-14 16:50:19
Print Post

Just find a cheap Router with WiFi such as a 2wire 2700 or 2701 - they were/are the BT hubs and routers for both ADSL and VDSL. You can pick up an unused one for £5-10 on a well known auction site.

Turn off DHCP, allocate a fixed IP (if you want) connect up and away you go - three ports available and Wireless.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 24-Jul-14 18:19:11
Print Post

You haven't said if you have power in the shed or not.

If you use the Wireless AP MrSaffron links to then you can use this device without any mains power as it can use PoE (power over ethernet). So this could be just what you are after depending on your situation smile

Standard User Badwolf53
(newbie) Wed 30-Jul-14 17:03:35
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

I do have power to the shed, albeit only temporarily (whenever I plug in the extension lead)

My next problem is wiring my ethernet wall socket. I bought one off ebay, which is a combined ethernet/coaxial plate, and I've managed to squeeze the ethernet cable up the conduit and into the roofspace. My first attempt at connecting a plug on one end and the socket at the other has been unsuccessful.

Any hints or tips? I have a proper crimping tool etc.

H
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 30-Jul-14 18:17:06
Print Post

Is it solid core or stranded cable? What's the problem with the plug? What sort of connections are on the socket?

A link to ebay for the hardware would help

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User Badwolf53
(newbie) Wed 30-Jul-14 20:56:23
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The socket is here,

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161118123922

And it is marked with 2 colour codes wiring schemes, marked A&B.

I wired my stranded cable to it according to colour code A, and wired a plug to the other end according to http://danlipofsky.com/technical/ethernet/

I have a cable tester.

Pity I cant post photos, as I sure I'm not explaining myself properly.
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Jul-14 21:00:12
Print Post

What is the cable tester showing ?
Standard User Badwolf53
(newbie) Wed 30-Jul-14 21:28:17
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]

It's showing nothing at all, and I tested it with a bought cable, and it works fine.

I'm going to rewire the socket according to the B colour code, and get back to you.

If that doesn't work, then I have to assume the cable has been damaged when I was pulling it through the conduit. Oh joy, more cramped time in the roofspace frown

H
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to