General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 27-Jul-14 09:36:34
Print Post

Master Socket

[link to this post]

TalkTalk is the ISP providing the phone service and ADSL broadband.

If you don't have a master socket, how would you go about getting one fitted? If you desired to have it in a different location could that be specified? How much would it all cost? There are no extensions.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Jul-14 10:46:07
Print Post

Re: Master Socket

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

You do have a Master socket. Possibly not an NTE5.

If the question is just about convenience of location or the availability of a test socket, that will cost you.

If the question is about FTTC then the installer will replace a non-NTE5 with one, plus the interstitial filter. If you want it in a different location you would need to order the Data Extension/Home Wiring Solution at the time of ordering the FTTC. That provides a free move of the master to where you prefer it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 27-Jul-14 12:47:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

And the people to chase would be TalkTalk

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 27-Jul-14 12:56:37
Print Post

"convenience of location" applies. Prices to shift a master socket seems to change very frequently. Just enquiring what it is at the moment. For sure I could ask TalkTalk but they don't answer the phone promptly and their "waiting" music unsettles me for the rest of the day!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Jul-14 18:37:38
Print Post

I'm afraid they are the only people you can ask. I suggest in their own forum so you have hard-copy.

£25 + Vat is what they officially charge CPs (Communications Providers). That hasn't changed for donkey's years, since 1 April 2007 in fact. Whether TT has a discount on anything I have no idea. But in your case Openreach would also charge TT as follows:-
If an Openreach engineer is not at the End Users site for other purposes a separate Visit Charge will also apply, or if additional provision or recovery of internal exchange line wiring is required then Time Related Charges will apply.

See Time Related Charges in the Service Products section of the price list.

Visit Charges and Time Related Charges can be found in the Service Products section of the price list at :

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/pricing/serviceprodu...
I'll leave you to follow that link. Then TT may add a profit margin to gve a price to you, or they may give a discount on it to you. That can change frequently, as you say.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User trolleybus
(committed) Sun 27-Jul-14 19:19:48
Print Post

I have concluded that if it was done for less than £130 then that would be a real bonus. As has been mention previously, it is something that can be organised with an FTTC install, effectively for free, but that service is unlikely to be available to order this side of Christmas. Makes financial sense to wait until then.

Of course a DIY job could be carried out in the meantime for less than £20.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 27-Jul-14 19:40:30
Print Post

Yes it could.

ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Tue 29-Jul-14 10:16:34
Print Post

HI Trolleybus,

As part of the Installation for Fibre you cna request a move of the master socket to a more convenient locatoin.

If you have more questions surrounding the install process please regsiter on the TalkTalk Community and post the details of your question in the Superpowered Fibre Broadband Section.

Cheers
Mark
Online Community Department
TalkTalk

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to