General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User headscratcher
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 11:49:36
Print Post

Changeing providers from a non LLU Exchange

[link to this post]

Telephony seems a fairly impenetrable subject to me. My exchange is non LLU WMEK; Sam Knows info http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMECK. We are expecting FTTC rollout soon so I am just hoping someone who understands the intricacies of negotiating moving providers can give me some tips on avoiding pitfalls. FTTC may be too expensive, at first anyway.

One provider gave me this reply which did not help -"Because your line is on the TalkTalk network, we would need to place a conversion order to have the line moved back to the BT network. Once the line moves over to BT's network, this will cease your broadband service and will need to be reactivated. The cost to reactivate broadband on the line is £40 +VAT and the cost of the line conversion back to the BT network is £40 +VAT". Note that my Broadband is with different ISP to TalkTalk..

I was under the impression that migration was simple and cheap. Could it better to go for [say] PlusNet and then migrate once the contract period is over?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 12:20:14
Print Post

Re: Changeing providers from a non LLU Exchange

[re: headscratcher] [link to this post]

That is confusing. (Not your post, but the situation).

Is your phone with TalkTalk? That ISP (Xilo?) seems to think it is. It can't be your existing one, but given who your existing ISP is (Newnet) I think it almost certain the other ISP is confused - you probably told them about the phone being with TalkTalk and they would assume full LLU.

What do you get if you put your phone number into this checker? If it gives you a proper result please copy and paste the speed estimates table and the line above it, editing out your phone number of course.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User headscratcher
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 20:28:53
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for your time. I am with TalkTalk for the landline but Timico/Newnet provide my Broadband. The quote was from IDNet - to be truthful I also got another email from a different person part of which reads "Our service runs over BT equipment (exchange equipment and the phone lines them selves are maintained by BT openreach). I take it the package you were looking at was the Lite Package with Unlimited UK calls? If so that is £30.50 + VAT. All of our ADSL2+ packages are on rolling 1 month contracts the same as our phone services. FTTC broadband would have a 12 month contract and is subject to a £80 + VAT installation fee which would cover a BT engineer coming out to install the service". This is a more understandable reply?? perhaps you understand where they are coming from? I did provide my tel. no. so they should be aware of the circumstances.

BT checker will not allow cut & paste but hope you can understand the following. [N.B. I used to get download speeds of 2.4 Mbps but speeds are now falling and average 1.8 mbps.but this is still better than I used to get from TalkTalk.]

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number xxxxxx on Exchange ECKINGTON is served by Cabinet 3

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 1.5 -- 1 to 2.5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Hope you can understand?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 21:31:08
Print Post

So as that checker has worked, you must be on a BT WLR line which would make sense as your exchange has no LLU suppliers. No transfer to BT is required to migrate to another ISP. The quote from IDnet for £80 +VAT is totally wrong.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 21:37:53
Print Post

That's fine. As I thought, (the checker was to give confirmation), you are on what is called a WLR (Wholesale Line Rental) line from Openreach and it can be transferred to any ISP at any time if you wish, with no fuss about disconnections. The ISP quoting all the stuff in your first post was confused by the TalkTalk. Your line is not on the TalkTalk network smile.

No mention of FTTC in that report, but at least you now know it is cabinet 3 when FTTC gets to your exchange. Not all cabinets on an exchange are enabled at the same time, and some possibly not at all. That checker is the one to keep an eye on, as well as the exchange itself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 02-Aug-14 21:39:14
Print Post

[re: Realalemadrid] [link to this post]

IDNet do charge £80 + Vat for FTTC setup/connection.

Plusnet charge £50 inc. Vat unless you also take their line rental. Quite normal.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 02-Aug-14 21:40:39)

Standard User Realalemadrid
(newbie) Sat 02-Aug-14 22:40:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes you are correct, I assumed the OP was intending to migrate to an ADSL2+ service. Missed the FTTC bit. Seems quite a hefty charge, I'm with PlusNet, still waiting for BDUK program to sort something, hopefully FTTP. No cabinets on my small rural exchange.

Edited by Realalemadrid (Sat 02-Aug-14 22:40:54)

Print Thread

Jump to