General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User project_x_uk
(member) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:16:33
Print Post

dont think thats right

[link to this post]

Just checked my router stats and found this
Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2067 kbps 605 kbps
Line Attenuation 67.5 dB 40.4 dB
Noise Margin 2.9 dB 10.10 dB
Am I right in thinking line attenuation is to high. My isp is sky

Edited by project_x_uk (Sun 03-Aug-14 09:21:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:35:26
Print Post

Re: dont think thats right

[re: project_x_uk] [link to this post]

All depends on how far you are from the exchange, if you are around 6km of wire then its ok.

If your stats and sync is normally a lot better, then check that the telephone is working.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User project_x_uk
(member) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:37:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well my local cabinet is like 100 metres from my house phone is fine and it's a brand new house

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:38:27
Print Post

The cabinet may be 100m but if this is ADSL2+ then the distance to the exchange in total is what counts

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Sun 03-Aug-14 09:58:08
Print Post

Andrew is correct in stating that for ADSLx, it is the "phone wire" distance to the Exchange, that you have to consider.

Additionally, whilst the "local cabinet" may be only apparently 100 Metres from your house; by the "phone wire", it could be significantly further!

In my own case, the PCP "local cabinet" is about 50 Metres from my house; but it is in "phone wire" terms, about 250 Metres.

And there is no obvious reason for that routeing, as the whole estate was pre-wired for phone, on a "green field" site.

========================

This is compounded that although the recent FTTC (Fibre) Cabinet is only 10 Metres from my house, its copper links add about 50 Metres to the local wiring, so effectively my VDSL feed takes about 300 Metres, to cover about 10 Metres to my front door.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 03-Aug-14 14:29:41
Print Post

Are you taking those stats from the hidden test socket?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Aug-14 14:50:13
Print Post

Line Attenuation just measures how long your line is, so the cable from your house to the telephone exchange. 67.5 is very high which basically means you have a really long cable between your house and the exchange.

Due to this your speeds are quite slow, so 2Mbps or around 150 - 200 Kb/s on downloads is what you will get.

There's nothing you can really do. That's how long the cable is that you're connected too. BT wont start digging roads up to make it shorter... A change of ISP will use that same cable and speeds will be very similar.

For an attentuation of 67.5 2067kbps is not bad at all.

All in all nothing to worry about in my opinion. Just ensure you are using the master telephone socket as that may be faster.

Is sky fibre available where you are?

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sun 03-Aug-14 14:51:06)

Print Thread

Jump to