General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 405mi16
(learned) Tue 05-Aug-14 09:21:57
Print Post

Rural long line problems, still...

[link to this post]

Hi guys. Its been about a year since I was last here I think, and things still aren't right.

Recently the line and broadband have deteriorated so much that they were completely useless. We have had so many line engineers out that I cant keep count, but every time they are here they find another tiny little fault that no one else did. They then tell me that for the length of the line the quality is good.

However, we can still hear a faint ringing on the line when our neighbours phones are ringing.

Anyway, here's our current router stats. Download speed test is 0.07mbps and IP profile is currently 0.14mbps (still hasent risen yet...) according to speedtest.btwholesale.com.

ADSL Line Status

Connection Information

Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 18:34:04
Downstream: 960 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 7.8 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 73.8 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 16.1 dBm / 12.5 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 28103917 / 27527
CRC Events (Down/Up): 51478 / 838
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up): 66339 / 638
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 13661 / 1124

Oh yeah, I know the attenuation is high. It used to be exactly 70db, I have no idea why its so high now.

Thanks, JF.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Aug-14 09:49:41
Print Post

Re: Rural long line problems, still...

[re: 405mi16] [link to this post]

If you are hearing ringing when the neighbours line gets a call then it should be logged as a voice fault.

Get them to fix that first and then if it doesn't fix the BB then go from there. However, at that line length your BB is never going to be very good as you know - how did it used to be better than it is now (ie what deterioration have you seen)?
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 05-Aug-14 10:35:37
Print Post

Re: Rural long line problems, still...

[re: 405mi16] [link to this post]

Morning JF

What is your Line Length, to help put the Down Attenuation in context?

It seems likely that your neighbour's line pair is probably in the same multi-way main cable as your own, in which case cross-talk, particularly from the AC ring tones is likely; and unfortunately is very unlikely to be eliminated, because of the higher mutual capacitance and inductance implicit with lengthy lines.

Additionally, if you can hear any untoward noises on the line, then Ian's advice of reporting it to your PHONE Line provider, as a VOICE Fault, should definitely be followed.

The PHONE Line provider is the company that you pay the Line Rental to.

Edited by eckiedoo (Tue 05-Aug-14 10:36:27)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to