General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(regular) Sat 09-Aug-14 15:52:28
Print Post

How long does it take to get a MAC code?

[link to this post]

Late on Wednesday night I got fed up with EE and requested my MAC code, now this was about 8pm, to my amazement the following morning I received not 1 but 2 envelopes to return my router etc, fastest post I ever seen but still no sign of my MAC code which will be posted out apparently. How long does it usually take to receive a MAC ?
Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 09-Aug-14 16:43:28
Print Post

Re: How long does it take to get a MAC code?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Up to 5 working days and then 1 to 2 for the post...

IanD
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 09-Aug-14 17:10:51
Print Post

Does not need to be posted. Despite decent ISPs giving it to you over the phone as it's usually generated immediately, some will make you wait five working days just because they can. In the case of the incompetent bunch at EE, I would not hold your breath, as a MAC has thus far not turned up here despite requests and promises of late. Hold your payments, they will soon switch you off, even if you are withholding payment for a bill wrong by 400%.

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Aug-14 18:19:58
Print Post

Every time I've asked for one it's arrived within an hour but I think they have up to 5 working days.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 12:59:57
Print Post

The request of a MAC Code does NOT necessarily mean that it will be used &, hence, it does NOT necessarily mean that the Contract will be terminated.

The fact that EE appear to have taken the MAC Request as a Terminate Instruction (hence, the Router Envelopes) is worrying!

Regards,
John
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 16:07:29
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
The fact that EE appear to have taken the MAC Request as a Terminate Instruction (hence, the Router Envelopes) is worrying!
It shouldn't unless OP also gave notice.
This Agreement will be terminated 10 days after any MAC Code that We provide to You is Used by Your new provider, or at the expiration of the notice You gave under point 9.1, whichever date comes first in time.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 16:15:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It shouldn't unless OP also gave notice.
This Agreement will be terminated 10 days after any MAC Code that We provide to You is Used by Your new provider, or at the expiration of the notice You gave under point 9.1, whichever date comes first in time.

The way that reads is that if the gaining provider uses the MAC and migration takes 14 days, there are 4 days without broadband. That would be my interpretation of the word "used" in this instance, anyway. I guess they may mean 10 days after migration to the gaining provider completes, but that's not how it reads.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 16:58:55
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Well, the new ISP gives the MAC to BTOR who does their thing and it is BTOR who should report back to old ISP that MAC has been used. The new & old ISPs don't communicate. It shouldn't take that long to migrate from one BTw ISP to another and if it's not to a ISP providing BT WLR phone than the MAC will not be used anyway.

I would read 'Uses' as when the migration happens. After all EE would want to collect fees for as long as possible.

However, in the case of this OP the MAC hasn't been handed to a new ISP. Indeed he hasn't even received it. Hence why the envelopes?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 11-Aug-14 19:25:01)

Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Aug-14 17:32:47
Print Post

It shouldn't take that long to migrate from one BTw ISP to another and if it's not to a BTw ISP than the MAC will not be used anyway.
I would read 'Uses' as when the migration happens.

I think that's the key, at the point at which the MAC is submitted by the gaining provider to BT eCo and the losing provider is notified (my own understanding of "used"), it is highly likely the migration will complete in under 10 days, so termination of the contract is most likely safe after a period of 10 days. The same can't be said for MPF (MAC-less) migrations, I guess they have different rules for that.

Hence why the envelopes?

Maybe just in anticipation of cancellation. OP would have to contact EE to see if a termination date has been set.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Mon 11-Aug-14 17:34:47)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 11-Aug-14 18:26:18
Print Post

Well, the new ISP gives the MAC to BTOR who does their thing and it is BTOR who should report back to old ISP that MAC has been used. The new & old ISPs don't communicate. It shouldn't take that long to migrate from one BTw ISP to another and if it's not to a BTw ISP than the MAC will not be used anyway.
Some TalkTalk Business resellers offer SMPF, thus requiring a MAC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to