General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Folke83
(newbie) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:31:35
Print Post

Plasma interfere with adsl

[link to this post]

Hello, my adsl will disconnect from internet whenever I turn my plasma tv on. Is there any filter or something I can put to the telephone socket which will filter out the interference caused by the tv? Or is there anything else I can do (beside buy a lcd tv)? I have moved the modem around the house with no luck..

Thank you all
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:34:57
Print Post

Re: Plasma interfere with adsl

[re: Folke83] [link to this post]

If its a new Plasma return it under sale of goods act.

The filters that will remove the RF interference will also kill the ADSL signal since they share the same frequencies generally.

Do have have a master socket for the phone in the house, if you remove the small faceplate (lower half) can use the test socket do things improve?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Folke83
(newbie) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:43:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Unfortunately it's not new. I don't have a master socket as I live in an old house. I just have a sovket which is the first in line after the phone cable enters the house. The socket itself is the old kind with three pins..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:49:37
Print Post

Is the TV a "smart TV" - is it connected to the Internet?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 14:50:58
Print Post

Sounds ancient, got a photo of it?

Any extensions at all?

Fitting a modem master socket with a VDSL2 faceplate might just help, as there is an RF3 filter that might combat the noise possibly. example of VDSL2 faceplate http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GMORGIC/ref=as... which are pretty cheap now.

Converting an old socket to a modern master is something to order via your telephone rental provider, should cost £25+VAT, but will cost more if you want extensions wiring up to it.

Am AM radio can help show where the interference is least, and also show how wideband it is. If you here lots of noise (when ADSL is turned off) and TV is on across the whole 300 KHz to 900 KHz bands then TV is bad. If its just at say around 600KHz, improved wiring may help.

What are the router statistics (connection speed) when the TV is turned off.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Thu 14-Aug-14 15:13:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by Folke83:
. I just have a sovket which is the first in line after the phone cable enters the house. The socket itself is the old kind with three pins..

How does the modem/router connect to it? I have yet to see a three pin modem or microfilter plug.

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Thu 14-Aug-14 15:16:31)

Standard User Folke83
(newbie) Thu 14-Aug-14 15:22:20
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

This is what we use in Finland to connect the modem into our sockets..
http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys_master/88729843...

Edited by Folke83 (Thu 14-Aug-14 15:23:17)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 14-Aug-14 15:29:09
Print Post

Aha - explains things.

In which case the advice about faceplates is different and have no idea how they terminate telephone lines and do the ADSL side.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:26:35
Print Post

Not the perfect solution, but one possible way to mitigate the problem and could be worth trying.

Where the phone line enters the house fit another two extension sockets immediately adjacent. Into one of those sockets install the telephone to modem adapter and fit the modem/hub very close by. This reduces the amount of cable that can pick up the RFI created by the TV. Run Ethernet to additional network sockets.

Initially make a small tin foil housing that the modem/hub can sit inside and if that works then get a nice looking metal enclosure

Use a DECT/cordless phone with mulitiple handsets rather than fixed/wired phones.

On the TV power lead, fit some Ferrite Beads - you may need to try/use different sizes. This will absorb the RFI being carried through the mains cables.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 14-Aug-14 16:36:07
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In the UK:-
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Converting an old socket to a modern master is something to order via your telephone rental provider, should cost £25+VAT, but will cost more if you want extensions wiring up to it.
In the notes below that on this page it says:_ "If an Openreach engineer is not at the End Users site for other purposes a separate Visit Charge will also apply ....

The visit charge to the ISP from 1 July 2014 is £95.73 + Vat = £114.88.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 14-Aug-14 17:51:10)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to