General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 11:31:03
Print Post

South Yorks Digital Region Woes

[link to this post]

I need some assistance please. I am one of the unhappy Origin customers who was de-activated last week. I curtailed my contract with Origin and was promised that the cease order would ensure the tags would be removed within 24 to 48 hours. So far there is no sign of the tags being removed and when I ring BT Infinity they seem to be oblivious of SYDR and keep asking me for a MAC code.

I am currently banging my head against a brick wall trying to resolve this can anyone suggest how best to resolve this? I do have FTTC, I can't order a new phone line due to our current number being linked to my wifes driving school business.

I have seen a couple of posts relating to contacting the "TAGS helpline" but can't find a contact number.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 11:59:21
Print Post

Re: South Yorks Digital Region Woes

[re: stevewhits] [link to this post]

AIUI the Tags Helpline we used to be able to call was withdrawn several years ago. The ISPs do have access to one.

You need either to get your call escalated to higher levels in BT or try a different ISP. Is there anything special you want from BT? Which ISP is your current FTTC with?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 12:17:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Which ISP is your current FTTC with?

I was with Origin Broadband and don't need anything specific other than the FTTC connection as ADSL only gives me .5mb

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jossmer
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 12:19:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry to read about this.
I was with Ask4 SYDR and foreseen such issues. I bailed out early and in the end had no option but to leave ASk4 and do with out a service, so that BT infinity could re provision me on to BT infinity 2.
This was because of the the tag issue.
On the plus side, it took only 7 days to get me up[ and running with infinity 2.
Great service too and fast and very reliable.

Good luck in what ever you choose to do

Jossmer
BSM britishsergeantsmess.com
BF4
http://www.britishsergeantsmess.com/
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 12:30:10
Print Post

[re: jossmer] [link to this post]

Tags can be overridden if you order a full LLU service i.e. TalkTalk or Sky.

I assume original posters has checked that their address is served by an Openreach fibre based service, a good many Digital Region cabinet areas are not.

Moving to full LLU TalkTalk/Sky may not be ideal if the number is used for business, which leaves route of a new telephone line and another set of line rental.

New line activation with fibre may take 2 to 3 weeks though.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 12:50:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Tags can be overridden if you order a full LLU service i.e. TalkTalk or Sky.

I assume original posters has checked that their address is served by an Openreach fibre based service, a good many Digital Region cabinet areas are not.

Hi thanks for the replies. FTTC on Openreach is available, a check on the postcode shows speeds up to 80mb but the phone number checker states it's not available. I do know it is available as neighbours have it. Unfortunately SYDR got in first and I went with them .

I don't want full LLU as I need to keep my existing phone number with BT due to the services we get with my wifes business.

Edited by stevewhits (Mon 18-Aug-14 12:58:10)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:03:14
Print Post

You can usually port the number to a full LLU service, but if crucial to business then its bite the bullet and pay for a new line, or sit it out and wait for Origin to sort stuff out.

Getting a MAC and leaving for ADSL service and then upgrading to FTTC in the year between when we knew service was closing and this day would arrive would have been best way.

There are options like expedited installs available via SME type providers for a new line if speed is important but you pay the price (recall something like £100-£150 extra on top of usual install cost)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stevewhits
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 13:09:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Getting a MAC and leaving for ADSL service and then upgrading to FTTC in the year between when we knew service was closing and this day would arrive would have been best way.

Origin convinced me there would be no problems ha ha (Their customer service up until the shut down was brilliant so I had no reason to disbelieve them). Cheques in the post springs to mind! Looks like we'll have to wait - I'll pay for BT Fon for a while and hope it's sorted within a month.
Standard User hippo
(member) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:22:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by stevewhits:
Origin convinced me there would be no problems ha ha

I was told directly that there would be minimal downtime (in the order of hours) in migrating my service from the old network to the new, and this wasn't by a standard CS rep.

---
Hippo
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:28:26
Print Post

[re: hippo] [link to this post]

If done with a migration process then yes, if done by a cease and provide without the use of MAC then it could be a few days.

A lot depends on what is actually done, and the scope for mistakes, which will be higher with Digital Region stuff, since it is so small in terms of numbers that many don't know you exist.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to