General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User paul_liverpoolfc
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:21:21
Print Post

Talk Talk and ordering fibre broadband confusion

[link to this post]

I was wondering if someone could help.

We've been with Talk Talk for phone for the last year or two and Vivaciti for broadband for 3 years on LLU.

A few months ago, I was due to have fibre from Vivaciti installed but the engineer said there was a capacity problem at the exchange.

This was then sorted out but I had to wait another couple of weeks for the BT Availability Checker date to show as available.

Whilst the Availability Checker problem was being sorted out, Talk Talk wrote to say they'd received information that we wanted to cancel our phone with them and we'd have to have a new line and phone number.

I spoke to Vivaciti and they said when my fibre order was placed, it looked like it went as a line takeover but when the guy at Vivaciti noticed this, he immediately cancelled it.

I believe this was due to a problem with me ordering fibre around the same time as the exchange problems occurred.

We've today had an engineer round who has told us we can keep our existing phone number if we want but we're not sure how this will affect us ordering fibre broadband with Talk Talk or another ISP.

Mum says she's ordered a Simply Broadband package from Talk Talk but, as things stand, we're still with Vivaciti for broadband!

Mum's worried about being on the phone for another 2 hours with Talk Talk trying to sort things out.

Thanks.

GPRS > 3G > HSDPA > ADSL > ADSL Max > ADSL2+ > FTTC in next few weeks > FTTP next decade?

Edited by paul_liverpoolfc (Mon 18-Aug-14 15:35:03)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 15:47:07
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk and ordering fibre broadband confusion

[re: paul_liverpoolfc] [link to this post]

Was the SimplyBroadband ordered as a new telephone line? Or was the existing number quoted?

TalkTalk will put in the order to takeover the existing number and broadband and move it to full LLU usually, but it is possible depending on choices made when ordering they may think its a new line order, or that you WANT a new number.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:05:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As a new telephone line.

Interestingly, when I put our existing number into Talk Talk's checker, it says we can't get SimplyBroadband but can upgrade to Fibre!

GPRS > 3G > HSDPA > ADSL > ADSL Max > ADSL2+ > FTTC in next few weeks > FTTP next decade?

Edited by paul_liverpoolfc (Mon 18-Aug-14 16:06:18)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:10:26
Print Post

If as a new line, then should do nothing to the existing phone number and broadband but you will get a second telephone line with the SimplyBroadband running on it and two sets of line rental/broadband bills i.e. the existing and the new line.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:18:53
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

We told the engineer that came today that we wanted to stay on our existing number and he said this should be OK.

I've just put the new number the engineer was going to give us into the Talk Talk fibre checker and it's showing as available on this number.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:35:24
Print Post

Who's speaking to whom? You, your Mum?
Sounds like too many cooks............

"We've been with Talk Talk for phone for the last year or two and Vivaciti for broadband for 3 years on LLU."
That I do not understand.

Edited by Stevenage_Neil (Mon 18-Aug-14 16:37:51)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:52:31
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Stevenage_Neil:
"We've been with Talk Talk for phone for the last year or two and Vivaciti for broadband for 3 years on LLU."
That I do not understand.
TalkTalk do "BT" lines (WLR) as well as LLU, so normal SMPF.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(committed) Mon 18-Aug-14 16:57:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

So, excuse my ignorance, who is the "LLU" with?
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:06:47
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Talk Talk for phone on normal BT line and then we have Vivaciti for broadband (a Talk Talk reseller) on LLU.

The number the engineer told us he'd been asked to change us to is an MPF (full LLU i.e. Talk Talk) number, so doesn't show up on the BT Availability Checker or any other ISPs checkers apart from Talk Talk's.

From what I can see, we need to get Talk Talk to remove this new number from their systems and put our current number back on to their fibre checker.

Edited by paul_liverpoolfc (Mon 18-Aug-14 17:18:34)

(committed) Mon 18-Aug-14 17:18:00
Print Post

Seems to me that you have two choices:-
1. Let your Mum "share" your FTTC,or
2. Get yourself a new phone line.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to