General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Disneycjd
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 19:50:04
Print Post

New to fibre. Help with questions on extensions and setup

[link to this post]

Dear all

I am new to the forum but I have been reading a lot. Great help on many threads but I cannot find the answer to my questions so here goes.

Also I am partially sighted do am dictating this. Therefore please forgive sny errors. I do have it read back to me but there may still be errors.

Ok. We have a new house. Built 2010 by Wimpey. We have a master socket in the hall and six extensions all over the house These were installed by Wimpey with chrome faceplates. One is in the living room next to the skybox, one is in the family room next to the other skybox, one is in the office, and three are in the bedrooms (with one of the bedrooms also having the alarm wired into the bottom of the socket which texts phones if it goes off).

Because of my vision problems I work from home in an office on the first floor. I have a Netgear D6 300 router and Anaya desk IP phone. We also run a ready Naz duo and Sonos. All of these plug directly into the Rueter.

A) we are having talk talk complete fibre being installed in September. I have told me as part of the package they will move the master sockets to the office. However can you not run the talk talk super router off of an extension socket if it's modern wiring?

B) I was not sure if there was a limit on the number of phone extensions you could use with a fibre faceplate. Obviously we have six extensions at the moment and when the master socket is moved I would of course like to keep all of them. Do you know if this is possible?

C) where the extension socket is in the office which will hopefully become a master socket will I still be able to use the backup phone line in the office. We have DACT phones throughout the house but in case of power cuts are used this old-fashioned wired phone in the office to make and receive calls. I think I have read on a if you have an extension socket change to a master socket he can no longer use a telephone is that correct?

D) I do not suppose anybody has used my router as opposed to the talk talk super router and could suggest which one is best. The Wi-Fi range on my netgear is next to useless.

Thank you in advance for your help I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and provide help and answers.
Standard User troublegum
(learned) Mon 18-Aug-14 20:02:46
Print Post

Re: New to fibre. Help with questions on extensions and setu

[re: Disneycjd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Disneycjd:
Dear all

I am new to the forum but I have been reading a lot. Great help on many threads but I cannot find the answer to my questions so here goes.

Also I am partially sighted do am dictating this. Therefore please forgive sny errors. I do have it read back to me but there may still be errors.

Ok. We have a new house. Built 2010 by Wimpey. We have a master socket in the hall and six extensions all over the house These were installed by Wimpey with chrome faceplates. One is in the living room next to the skybox, one is in the family room next to the other skybox, one is in the office, and three are in the bedrooms (with one of the bedrooms also having the alarm wired into the bottom of the socket which texts phones if it goes off).

Because of my vision problems I work from home in an office on the first floor. I have a Netgear D6 300 router and Anaya desk IP phone. We also run a ready Naz duo and Sonos. All of these plug directly into the Rueter.

A) we are having talk talk complete fibre being installed in September. I have told me as part of the package they will move the master sockets to the office. However can you not run the talk talk super router off of an extension socket if it's modern wiring?

B) I was not sure if there was a limit on the number of phone extensions you could use with a fibre faceplate. Obviously we have six extensions at the moment and when the master socket is moved I would of course like to keep all of them. Do you know if this is possible?

C) where the extension socket is in the office which will hopefully become a master socket will I still be able to use the backup phone line in the office. We have DACT phones throughout the house but in case of power cuts are used this old-fashioned wired phone in the office to make and receive calls. I think I have read on a if you have an extension socket change to a master socket he can no longer use a telephone is that correct?

D) I do not suppose anybody has used my router as opposed to the talk talk super router and could suggest which one is best. The Wi-Fi range on my netgear is next to useless.

Thank you in advance for your help I really appreciate you taking the time to read my post and provide help and answers.

A - technically you can run it off an extension but will lose a significant amount of speed.

B - It is possible to keep the extensions but what the engineer would need to do to achieve would be frowned upon. He would need to 'backwire'.

To explain, the the current NTE would be bypassed and the signal sent to the new master socket. Then using another pair of wires in the cable eg the green or orange pair, the phone signal would then be sent back to the original location where the original NTE was so that it could then feed out to the other sockets. This is frowned upon as the network wiring and customer wiring are in the same cable so the demarcation point becomes a bit blurred.

C - incorrect.
Standard User Disneycjd
(newbie) Mon 18-Aug-14 22:34:51
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

Thank you. So unless he back wires what else can he do or do we lose all extensions?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User troublegum
(learned) Tue 19-Aug-14 07:25:20
Print Post

[re: Disneycjd] [link to this post]

The options depend on how the extension sockets are wired.

If they are wired in parallel, i.e each extension has its own wiring back to the master, then he may well backwire it just to keep you happy. The correct thing for the engineer to do would be to run a separate cable back to the old location of the NTE, however this would be surface mounted eg along the skirting board. It would not be complicated to backwire it yourself.

However if the extensions are wired in series i.e daisy chained, which these new house builders tend to do then it is a different story. There is no easy solution and you would lose some extensions, however you would only lose the ones that are wired before the extension that is to become the NTE. The ones wired after this would still be ok. You would need to try to figure out the order that they are connected in so you know which ones will be affected.

Third option is to leave the NTE where it is and the engineer will run cat5 cable to your router location, again this would be surface mounted.

If you are wanting all the cabling hidden away you are looking at doing it yourself before the engineer gets there.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 19-Aug-14 08:30:09
Print Post

[re: troublegum] [link to this post]

I think you mean star-wired and daisy-chained as opposed to in-parallel and in-series, and the normal way of wiring is daisy-chained.

Because each cable usually has 2 pairs present, this means that back-wiring is possible to make any extension the master.

Alternatively, a data extension socket can be fitted from the master to a location up to 30 metres away, for the modem. This should not be used for a phone extension.

Of course, it it still possible to use microfilters and use any extension as the modem socket just like with ADSL, but this could impact your speed and reliability.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
  Print Thread

Jump to