General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pouser
(regular) Wed 20-Aug-14 17:21:08
Print Post

Modem software

[link to this post]

Hi

I recently moved from a Fibre connection to a standard broadband line. Speed is currently a superb speen of 1.3 mb down and .3 up.

Years ago when I has on a broadband connection I was able to tweak the noise ration and achieve a speed increase from .6 to just over 1.2 mb.

Every last ounce sqeezed out would be useful but I cant remember what the software was. I know it seemed to be in german ofr some similar language.

Still awaiting a fibre connection in 18 months!

Steve
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Aug-14 17:23:05
Print Post

Re: Modem software

[re: pouser] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by pouser:
Every last ounce sqeezed out would be useful but I cant remember what the software was. I know it seemed to be in german ofr some similar language.
http://dmt.mhilfe.de/

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Aug-14 17:32:11
Print Post

Run the router stats through http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc and that will give you an idea of how much space there is for tweaking.

If the line is at 63dB or higher downstream attenuation then not likely to be any room for extra speed.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Aug-14 18:20:04
Print Post

Which router?

If you tweaked to 1.2 Meg years ago & you are now getting 1.3 Meg it's not likely tweaking will improve it. It's quite likely you are now running on a 3 dB NM which you would've tweaked to in the past.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User pouser
(regular) Thu 21-Aug-14 00:31:15
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link. However it seems that the modem I have in not supported. I have a ZyXEL AMG1302-T10A.

Is there anything this would work with, please?

Steve
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Thu 21-Aug-14 08:37:47
Print Post

Not sure about that modem... try the kitz forum...http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?board=46.0

Two programs on there that may work...or purchace a openreach hg612 (FTTC modem) ..unlock it and set up for ADSL....they are rock solid.

Ian
Standard User pouser
(regular) Fri 22-Aug-14 10:45:02
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

Hi

I have a BT Modem. I have just transferred from them after contract expired to another provider. On switchover day, Monday, it didnt work so I fitted the ZyXEL one supplied with the new provider. Can the BT ones be 'unlocked'.
The BT modem did work at just under 2mb.

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 22-Aug-14 10:46:38
Print Post

BT has used many modems in its 14 year ADSL history, what make/model is it?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Aug-14 15:05:05
Print Post

Can you provide line stats so we can see if it's even worth bothering to try? If you already have a 3db noise margin for instance it would be really not worth trying.
  Print Thread

Jump to