General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User uniquehandle
(newbie) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:17:43
Print Post

Keeping broadband isp, changing landline provider

[link to this post]

Hi, I currently have a BT landline (expensive!) and Sky unlimited adsl broadband.

The sky broadband is OK. I was an O2 customer and get the unlimited package for £5 per month. In contract until February 2015.

I had been paying BT yearly for my landline until fairly recently but then stopped, thinking I would get round to changing to someone else. So I am now paying monthly.

So I was thinking of changing to the Post Office for my landline. I contacted them to see if my Sky hroadband would be affected and they thought 'no' but didn't sound convincing. So I also checked with Sky who said it should still work fine.

However, by seeing reviews of transfers going wrong I worry that it might go pear shaped and I'd be stuck without broadband. If the post office use LLU landlines via talktalk might this be a potential cause of problems? ( I can keep my existing telephone number as far as I know).

I thought maybe I'd play it safe and transfer to Sky telephone line rental - less costly than BT, more expensive than the post office but got to work with Sky broadband right? But apparently some people found that when they did this their Sky broadband dropped dramatically in speed and Sky were rubbish at sorting it out. (this was reported on the Sky community forums).

I guess there are always horror stories on the internet from people whose telecom services go wrong when they change something - but it is scary enough to really put me off changing. I would be really stuck without my broadband and think I should stick with what I've got as it works and suck up paying BT over the odds.

Maybe I should wait til February til my Sky contract runs out and switch to a different combined phone and broadband provider then.

Do people here think it would be a good or bad idea to switch my landline to the post office or sky?
(newbie) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:44:12
Print Post

Re: Keeping broadband isp, changing landline provider

[re: uniquehandle] [link to this post]

Hi again,

I was just looking at the post office broadband section on these forums (I didn't post my query there as I didn't realise landlines would be covered there plus this is also about sky broadband).

It seems that if you are a new post office phone line only customer it wouldn't be certain whether you would be put on wlr or llu. As far as I can tell from comments (but I'm not sure) if I got put on llu then my sky broadband wouldn't work. Obviously I would try and stress to the post office that I had sky broadband but I'm not convinced it would get taken on board by them.

Also for some reason it is best be on wlr because of possible reconnection charges in the future? - making sky phone line not a good idea either? I must confess it's all very confusing to me.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 24-Aug-14 22:46:19
Print Post

Look at Zen. £11.22pm. But virtually nothing included so only suitable if your landline is purely for your broadband. I'm thinking of it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 24-Aug-14 23:26:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Looks interesting - they also have a home talk plus for £17.35 which could be good for me - better than bt or sky (I do use my landline a bit). And the contracts are monthly which is good.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Aug-14 04:17:14
Print Post

If you order just Home Phone from Post Office then it will be the (Wholesale Line Rental) WLR option, which will not affect Sky broadband

They would only put you on LLU if you ordered Broadband + Phone

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Mon 25-Aug-14 08:58:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi, thanks is that 100% definite? I read somewhere else on the forum that they should do that but as a new customer they might not.
(newbie) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:09:37
Print Post

Although Zen is about the same price as the post office for renting monthly. The saving for the post office line over them would come with paying 12 months in advance which I am not sure about doing. Assumimg zen and the post office are both wlr is one likely to have better customer service than the other?

I would (for now anyway) get either zen home talk plus with caller id for 18.25 or the post office anytime including caller id for 18.57. Getting 12 months in advance brings the post office down to 15.57. But I'd probably want to see what they were like for a bit before paying for 12 months upfront.

Edited by uniquehandle (Mon 25-Aug-14 09:15:08)

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:47:11
Print Post

After a lifetime with BT I switched to Zen at the start of the year for my phone/line. I went for the £18.25 package and bought an answerphone to save on the 1571 service.

They didn't break my broadband - I had the same concern as you. I also looked at the PO but it looked like customer service (should it be needed) can be tricky with them when Zen is highly rated. So I can recommend moving to Zen.

(newbie) Mon 25-Aug-14 09:55:49
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thank you.
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Mon 25-Aug-14 14:35:19
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

+1

Zen Business Talk - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to