General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RossMcG
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 14:57:21
Print Post

Beware of Rightmove

[link to this post]

Guys if looking for a property and you are using the rightmove website please do not use their speed checker. It is completly in accurate and will give false readings.

I wish I had their optimism as I would be on 76Mbps if that was the case, alas my entire postcode is 1.5 - 3Mbps with no chance of fibre.

Just as an FY1, imagine buying a house and going by these completly false claims, you get your internet all up and running and its prehistoric speeds smile

Happened to me!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:21:38
Print Post

Re: Beware of Rightmove

[re: RossMcG] [link to this post]

Have mentioned this before.

Rightmove shows 76 Mbps (with two decimal place accuracy for some reason) if the postcode can get FTTC.

We do have data they could come and enquire about i.e. what we use for the FTTC layer on http://maps.thinkbroadband.com/#!lat=50.264889531397...

Plus as there are active speed tests on our map you can get a double security check, or even better get the estate agent to get an owner to do a speed test.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RossMcG
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:34:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Surely there should be some form of "policing" for these extrtemly inaccurate estimates. There isnt even anything in the disclaimer.

I was quite shocked as almost every checker I tried states my speeds are 1.5 - 3, which says to me Rightmove have "deliberately" made it so the results are based on top speeds within an extremly wide area.

I'm pretty sure if BB speeds are cited on Homereports they will be soon, so that makes me wonder what kind of accuracy there will be for that.

Just totaly bamboozled that such a large site would be "tampering" the results in this way.

I will share their response as I contacted them.

And aye Andrew your quite right people should be checking more thoroughly but alas there are some who aren't all that savvy with these things and will trust a big site like rightmove. This may even knock on to estate agents etc and it would burst yer heid!

Edit: Hate to point this out but your map is also wrong lol, the green dot is EXACTLY where my house is and it definately should be a red dot!

Edited by RossMcG (Mon 01-Sep-14 15:39:22)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:42:08
Print Post

Postcode please? email it if you want to remain anonymous

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RossMcG
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:47:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Im not shy ...lol

KA1 3TQ

The wee green dot is exactly where my house is, and chances are both speedtests were done by me. My whole postcode is EO as are a few postcodes in that area.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:48:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by RossMcG:
Im not shy ...lol

KA1 3TQ

The wee green dot is exactly where my house is,

Either i'm ill or there are a few dozen wee green dots in that area tongue
Standard User RossMcG
(regular) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:52:15
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

It's the wee green dot at Esk Road smile

Much as I like the colour wish i had the speed associated
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:53:38
Print Post

oh okay i get ya now smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Sep-14 15:57:57
Print Post

First note the wording "Note that this does not show active cabinets but estimated speeds if FTTC were to be offered from every street cabinet." on the maps. It includes estimates for all green street cabinets.

Can do you a deal on a map that is just live cabinets too smile

Address 31 ESK ROAD, KILMARNOCK, KA1 3TQ on Exchange KILMARNOCK is served by Cabinet 34 actually has FTTC available at 37 to 74 Mbps (our estimate is 35 Mbps for postcode).

Reason you are getting a bad result is because the postcode is split between the cabinet connected properties and those on Exchange Only (EO) lines. It is the joy of postcode only checks, which mean they need to caveated.

No evidence of upgrade plans for the EO lines on that exchange yet. EO means lines go direct to the exchange and NOT via a green cabinet.

Edit to add have hand counted EO versus cab properties at the postcode and changed back end to show this as a red postcode in the future since it is mostly exchange only.

Edited by MrSaffron (Mon 01-Sep-14 16:00:41)

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 01-Sep-14 16:07:35
Print Post

I have the opposite problem, it says 1.25Mbps, even for properties close to an FTTC cab that has been enabled for over three years, when the reality is 76Mbps.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync approx 60000/20000 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to