General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User plankton
(learned) Thu 04-Sep-14 12:20:25
Print Post

iplate not doing the trick and VDSL on the way.

[link to this post]

I've got a BT i-plate, I think v1. With it I sync at c.2400. If I remove it and plug straight into the test socket with a filter I get c 2700. I'm not that worried however the PCP that I'm on is getting VDSL (NEWICK2) in a couple of months and I'm on the end of 1150m of line to it..... So couple of questions. First will it be self-install from BT for FTTC ? I ask because if engineer turns out he'll supply new iplate .... I hope. Second, if not should, I bother getting a new iplate or am I still going to see some level of loss when the internal phone wiring is connected regardless ? All suggestions welcome.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 04-Sep-14 13:04:00
Print Post

Re: iplate not doing the trick and VDSL on the way.

[re: plankton] [link to this post]

What are your router stats now?

The Q is are you now getting what you should or do you have faulty internal wiring which will equally affect VDSL when you get it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User plankton
(learned) Thu 04-Sep-14 13:56:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

All I know is with an iplate with internal wiring I get c 2400 kbps without the internal wiring attached and connecting via the master socket I get c 2700 kbps. Is it the case that the iplate doesn't wholly remove the internal wiring from the equation? Might a new V2 iplate perform better?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 04-Sep-14 15:16:05
Print Post

The iPlate removed the effect of the ring wire, the VDSL2 faceplate does filtering for the voice so should help to isolate internal wiring issues a bit better, but no bets if the issue is things like split pairs, non-twisted bell wire and other nasties.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Thu 04-Sep-14 17:27:28
Print Post

If your quoted "1150 Metres" is the full copper length to the Exchange, then hopefully the PCP is much closer to you.

However, if that 1150 Metres is the actual copper length to the PCP, your FTTC cabinet links will add to it; and that is becoming decidedly marginal.

In my case, the FTTC is about 10 M from my front door, where my phone line enters the house.

The PCP is about 50 M away; BUT the new copper length from the FTTC, 50 M due to it looping back 5 M to the underground chamber, plus the existing copper length of the 1967 underground phone cabling, is about 300 Metres.

From the PCP, the cabling heads about 125 M "eastwards" before returning about the same distance "west", amounting to 250 Metres.

So you have to be very wary, when trying to assess such aspects.
Standard User plankton
(learned) Thu 04-Sep-14 19:23:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

modern wiring but I've disconnected the bell wire just in case. I'm going to spend my £5 on a new iplate as it seems a sensible thing to rule out as the problem. Just to be clear I'm on ADSL at the moment with a run of about 4300 m of line to the exchange. PCP is getting VDSL pair switched on in a couple of months which has a run of 1150m to it. I'm kind of hoping to get something between 17mbps - 24mbps rather than the 2.3 - 2.6 I get now from ADSL and just want to make sure I give myself the best possible chance for a sensible speed.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Sep-14 21:10:06
Print Post

If you have disconnected the bell wire at the master then you don't need an iPlate. Try with the NTE5 assembled without it and you should get the same as the test socket.

If you don't, then the rest of your wiring needs looking at.

What do you mean by "modern wiring"? Builder installed perhaps?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User plankton
(learned) Thu 04-Sep-14 23:02:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sparky installed but he was pretty competent but I guess you never know!
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Sep-14 23:21:10
Print Post

He may have used ordinary electric cabling, not twisted pair. That would be baaadddd.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User plankton
(learned) Fri 05-Sep-14 08:48:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He has used twisted pair phone cables.
  Print Thread

Jump to