General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User freddyenf
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 13:53:43
Print Post

Talk Talk problems

[link to this post]

sorry , if in the wrong forum:

talk talk user on adsl for a few yrs , decided that I wanted fibre as I wanted a faster upload speed to streem sound/vids from my dlink nas box to my 3g tablet ,

offered 38/10 , however when installed , it was only 38/1.8

complained as mis sold and upgraded to large fibre , 78/20 , 18.8 upload now active , but d/load is still 38

openreach mans gear says 38/20 , and TT say 78/20 , my indian is coming along well , but my upload has not increased

simple install , 1.8m from exchange , green box less than 200m away , cables underground till pole , new bt socket (openreach MK2) (one above other) short rj then the new talk talk "superrouter" NO BT modem

cabled setup running cat 6 from modem/router to nas box (gig enabled) the router has 4 gig ports , and the computer cable is cat 6 to gig card.

talk talk telling lies? or is the line faulty

modem info :
DSL synchronization status:
Upstream line rate (kbit/s):
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):
Upstream interleave depth:
Downstream interleave depth:
Line standard:
VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):
Downstream line attenuation (dB):
Upstream output power (dBm):
Downstream output power (dBm):
Downstream interleave depth:
None

link to thinkb/band sped test http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14100...

Edited by freddyenf (Sat 06-Sep-14 14:05:40)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:25:42
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk problems

[re: freddyenf] [link to this post]

First thing TalkTalk don't sell a 40/10 product which explains the original issue.

The latest issue suggests a backhaul profile is still set for the older 40 Mbps download, but the port speeds of the VDSL2 have been increased.

So not a faulty line or a faulty computer, just a remote configuration issue in the openreach or TalkTalk side.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User freddyenf
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:29:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thank you for the prompt reply , the package sold to me was a 40/10 and a line check was done and it reviled 38/7.7 , which I was happy with , when installed , they admitted to a 2m upload cap , so the 7.7 was a red herring

as you are aware , communication with India is "hard", and as a TT customer , I cannot contact BT.

any suggestions of the correct wording of a question to TT?

Edited by freddyenf (Sat 06-Sep-14 14:33:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:32:00
Print Post

The modem is synced at the full speed for the line, very close to the maximum but it appears that throughput is capped, either by a line profile operated by TalkTalk or Openreach.

Try the @TalkTalkCare and TalkTalks own forums which will get you a UK rep who may get the nuances of what your are trying to resolve.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User freddyenf
(newbie) Sat 06-Sep-14 14:58:27
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk problems (resolved)

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks again

I,ve been reading the talk talk pages and its fixed!!

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14100...

the "fix" , not advisd by talk talk.

in the settings of the new huawei hg635 modem/router there is a setting , auto dsl/fibre , you are told to leave this on auto.

set it to dsl and reboot

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14100...

please will you retain this info , as this is the new tt modem , and this setting is going to cause problems
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Sep-14 04:07:16
Print Post

Doubt that such setting had any effect on your fibre speed. Anyway DSL setting for fibre is a nonsense.

No, someone pulled a switch at t other end.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 08:47:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Can you explain why DSL setting for fibre would be a nonsense. On FTTC it is VDSL and not fibre that the modem connects at and so DSL would seem to be the logical setting.

If you mean it is nonsense because that is what the "auto" setting would have equated to in this situation anyway then I concur.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 14:03:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Then why have both DSL & Fibre options?

One must assume that DSL refers to ADSL and Fibre refers to VDSL.

I know they're loose interpretations but current modems connect either ADSL or VDSL only and modem programmers don't always write the most rigorous English wink.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 08-Sep-14 14:05:53
Print Post

Presumably Fibre means ethernet connection and DSL means telephone connection.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 08-Sep-14 14:14:01
Print Post

If the VDSL modem is built in then you would still select DSL for the connectivity (at least in any sane world).

If you want to use an external modem or you have either Cable or FTTP then you presumably select the fibre option (although in this case I believe fibre to be a misnomer as it is irrelevant what the transport is - it is the presentation to the router that is key).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to