General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Sat 06-Sep-14 15:12:59
Print Post

Talk Talk not so quick (at install)

[link to this post]

Hi,

My Son has just moved into a new flat for his final year at Uni and today tried to set up his phone and broadband. The previous tenant was with Talk Talk but the line was disconnected after he left on 31 August.

My Son has been told that a new line needs to be installed and as such an engineers visit is needed, leading to an earliest appointment of 25 September. He was a Talk Talk customer at his old flat and in fact still is in contract with them, but this did not make any difference to the TT team. He was offered a £25 credit to get a dongle instead!

As Uni work is looming broadband is vital. Does anyone know if there is a way of getting an earlier appointment and indeed is a 'new line' actually needed?

Thanks

Steve

Edited by Racehunter (Sat 06-Sep-14 16:53:08)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 06-Sep-14 16:16:15
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk not so quick (at instal)

[re: Racehunter] [link to this post]

Probably a real new line, but a re-activation of the existing one, but if old line was still flagged as live with service, then they might have taken a new line route.

Installs when combining voice with broadband (is this ADSL2+ or Fibre) can be 3 to 4 weeks away sometimes, and will largely be down to Openreach and how busy they are in an area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Racehunter
(regular) Sat 06-Sep-14 16:58:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Its ADSL2 as FTTC doesn't arrive at his local cabinet from Liverpool Royal exchange until late March 2015. The annoying thing is that when we got the keys on 31 August, the line was still active and the Talk Talk router was working, then the next day when we started moving stuff in, it was dead.

A little bit of thoughtlessness from aforementioned previous tenant methinks, as if they had mentioned it, we could have acted earlier and prevented the disconnect.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User brandscill
(committed) Sun 07-Sep-14 11:21:18
Print Post

As the previous tenant was cancelling or moving his existing contract to a new property there would always have been a disconnect. Unfortunately Openreach are slow, but 3 weeks is pretty good for them. I waited 6-7 last year.

BT ADSL 4.7Mbps (Actual)
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Sep-14 12:06:56
Print Post

Re: Talk Talk not so quick (at install)

To be honest that time frame is pretty good. I know it sounds like a long time but openreach aren't the fastest. It would be the same on other ISPs as well no doubt as they deal with openreach.

Given that there's a new influx of students as well it could be worse.

I doubt there's anyway to speed it up. If somebody nearby cancels their appointment an engineer may call you and say "we can install it earlier." That's literally just dropping on though.

The previous tenant will have cancelled their services so a new line install will be required probably as indicated. They may re activate the current line.
  Print Thread

Jump to