General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 20:14:34
Print Post

Is LLU likely at 1,000 line Exchanges?

[link to this post]

Are suppliers like Talk Talk and Sky likely to install equipment in 1,000 residential line exchanges where they don't currently have anything?

Even if you don't make use of their services, their presence can have a big impact on the price that has to be paid for the use of BT equipment.

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Sep-14 20:28:26
Print Post

Re: Is LLU likely at 1,000 line Exchanges?

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

How does it have such an effect? Exchanges don't get re-classified by Ofcom as a result.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Sep-14 20:28:46)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 07-Sep-14 21:14:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Plusnet charge more where there are no LLU operators. However, I am not so sure that the Post Office does.

Michael Chare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 07-Sep-14 21:19:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Plusnet charge more where there are no LLU operators.
No, PN charge more at Market 1 exchanges, even if LLU ISPs have appeared since OFCOM's classification done years ago.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Sep-14 21:22:01
Print Post

Are suppliers like Talk Talk and Sky likely to install equipment in 1,000 residential line exchanges where they don't currently have anything?

Even if you don't make use of their services, their presence can have a big impact on the price that has to be paid for the use of BT equipment.

We had it installed at 950 so yes.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Sep-14 21:32:08
Print Post

Perfectly possible but would need perfect conditions for exchanges that small.

They would need space, power, cheap access to high capacity backhaul and of course the demand (or existing customers to switch over).

Given that a small exchange like that will be a daughter of a larger NGA node exchange it will get GEA-FTTC services when/if FTTC becomes available from the likes of TalkTalk, Sky and more without them needing to Unbundle the local exchange so long as they have LLU in the node exchange and have bought a GEA-FTTC link.

LLU is out-of-date now. Although there will probably be the odd exchange enabled here an there where demand makes it viable.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User chris6273
(committed) Sun 07-Sep-14 21:52:45
Print Post

There's always a possibility!

I know for a fact because TalkTalk & Orange (No longer there) many years ago LLU'ed an exchange near me with just 385 residential lines!

I think it depends whether they have presence at nearby exchanges though. Do any exchanges near you offer TalkTalk LLU services?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
A.K.A: Chrisszzyy

Telewest (2004-2006): 256Kbps -> 512Kbps
University of Portsmouth's Horrible Network (2013 - 2014) - Supposedly 100/100Mbps
BT (2006 - Present): 8128/448 -> 22494/1211 -> 79987/20000Kbps (BT Infinity 2 on Huawei Cab)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 07-Sep-14 22:00:30
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

As of the last we heard Sky do not provide FTTC at their non-LLU exchanges even if that exchange is provided with FTTC from a different one, which they have LLU'ed and have a GEA link.

The reason being they normally insist on LLU phone, and the phone link remains at the copper exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 07-Sep-14 22:01:19)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Sep-14 22:28:22
Print Post

Oh balls. My bad. Forgot about the phone line side of things.

I wonder if Sky will change how they do things future for off-net areas so that they can still have FTTC through GEA-FTTC? Will probably need to as many exchanges being enabled as part of BDUK Sky wouldn't be able to offer service to.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User gah789
(regular) Sun 07-Sep-14 23:38:53
Print Post

In statistical terms, the size threshold at which there is a 50% chance of at least 1 LLU operator in addition to BT has been falling steadily over time and may go below 1,000 premises by the end of 2015.

In terms of regulation what matters now is whether an exchange is classified as Market A or Market B (with at least 2 LLU operators + BT). For Market B the 3rd operator would expect to get no more than one-third of the market or less than 300 customers (since broadband take up is less 100%). Whether and when that is worthwhile will depend on equipment prices and the cost of leasing backhaul, but it is probably 2-3 years away at least.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to