General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Thu 11-Sep-14 20:38:57
Print Post

Is Plusnet's maths any good?

[link to this post]

Saw today's Thinkbroadband ad 'Unlimited Broadband deal of the day with Plusnet' and thought why not. £2.49 a month for 12 months +£15.95 line rental ...... That in my book equals £18.44 a month. Anyway entered my phone number and postcode and yes, I got Unlimited Broadband and calls, 12 month contract, Up to 0.5Mb download (yes, things are bad round here) + Weekend calls from £9.99 (Special Offer: Save £7.50 a month for 12 months) £2.49 a month for 12 months + £15.95 line rental. Plus the router. Great, so I starts my order............

And what do I get when I get to the nitty gritty payments?
Unlimited broadband (First month) £17.49, Promotional discount (for 12 months) - £7.50 err that is £9.99! What gives? As it says at the final costings... Today's total £31.93 Next month, Monthly total £25.94

Ever felt like you've been conned? I have! Time Thinkbroadband went through such ads with a fine tooth comb. Maybe I should be getting in touch with trading standards! As it is, BT's recent offer to me hammers that so called cheap deal into the ground. I certainly won't be signing up............
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 11-Sep-14 21:55:54
Print Post

Re: Is Plusnet's maths any good?

[re: 69bertie] [link to this post]

Same deal as they are running on TV

Just run a test order and get

Unlimited broadband (First month)£9.99
Promotional discount (for 12 months) - £7.50
Plusnet Protect powered by McAfee (First month)Included
Router P&P£5.99
Line rental (First month)£15.95
Weekends (First Month)Included
Voicemail (1571) (First month)Included
Today's total£24.43

You get the higher price because you appear to be not in the large low cost area and taken from the legal bit on the landing page

Unlimited broadband from £2.49 a month for the first 12 months then £9.99 a month when you take line rental - 12 month contract:

•Receive a £7.50 discount each month for 12 months on the standard Unlimited Broadband price of £9.99 a month (or the standard Unlimited Broadband price of £17.49 a month if you live outside of a low-cost area).

It is only possible to check if in the low cost area once postcode/line details have been entered. So you still get the £7.50 a month discount, just the starting price is higher.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 11-Sep-14 22:36:32
Print Post

They are! You happen to live on a Market 1 exchange where PN's prices are £7.50 higher.

The advert you saw had the word 'From' in it, which you omitted to quote. You happen to be above the 'From' area.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 69bertie
(newbie) Fri 12-Sep-14 05:43:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did somehow suspect that might well be the case but the bargain (in Big type font) £2.49 a month still came up after I had entered my phone number and postcode. That, to me, is the naughty part. It should have displayed the actual prices pertaining to my enquiry / order, not entice me further up the garden path with a bargain, that not only did I not qualify for but had no hope of getting.

Edited by 69bertie (Fri 12-Sep-14 05:47:54)

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Fri 12-Sep-14 13:11:59
Print Post

When I have entered Market 1 exchange details I have had a correct quote from Plusnet.

You may find that the Post Office will make you a cheaper offer, though I am not convinced about their customer service.

Michael Chare
  Print Thread

Jump to