General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bluejonny
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 21:29:08
Print Post

Adding Cable Myself on Private Driveway

[link to this post]

Hi Everyone

I am new here, so please go easy! I will try to explain my problem in the hope some of you nice chaps and chapettes will be able to offer advice.

I live on a very small patch of privately owned land (basically 4 houses up a small driveway) and we only have telephone line broadband coming in. It's becoming more and more of a pain as we connect more and more devices to the network, and the kids are taking more and more bandwidth from only our current maximum of about meg per second.

We are located about 15 meters from a green box, and we know fibre exists as for years we were getting bombarded by Virgin to sign up. We knew we couldn't have it so one day, so annoyed by the umpteenth call and us saying we couldn't have it, we said Yes to see what would happen. Cut along story short, we got a refund and were never bothered again after the engineer came out.

So, we know that our closest neighbour has fibre - it's fibre to the green box on our street and then copper to homes - and as we see it the termination point stops next to one of the four houses' gardens so very, very close.

So we as neighbors agree between us we are more than capable people, we could dig up our drive ourselves and lay the appropriate copper cable to receive faster broadband. The furthest distance from where we believe the termination point to be is about 15 meters. We would need to lay four cables in some form of trunking.

However, we just need someone to come and say "this is what you need to buy and here is the termination point" and then that we can be connected to the green box.

So I guess the question is, what advice can anyone give me please before I try and do this. Who to contact, what cable I need to connect 4 houses, other considerations etc)

Any advice is really, really appreciated. If it helps, I can add an image showing you location of everything including where our houses are.

Thanks

Jon
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 23-Sep-14 21:49:11
Print Post

Re: Adding Cable Myself on Private Driveway

[re: bluejonny] [link to this post]

Yes, go ahead. I'm sure that BT/OpenReach (or whoever) won't mind one little bit if you mess with their equipment.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 23-Sep-14 21:51:37
Print Post

What you would normally do is install ducting to the specificstion given by virgin and foing to pre agreed points with appropriate draw ropes so they can easily install the actual coax

Back to chasing virgin for details

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 23-Sep-14 22:05:10
Print Post

When you say a neighbour has fibre, is that Virgin Media or a BT Wholesale based one?

Please can you use all three options on this checker and tell us what each says? If any gives you a table of speed estimates all we need is the table and the line above it, with any phone number/address/postcode edited out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User bluejonny
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 22:09:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the response, appreciated. They have Virgin Media. I do remember though that it was McNicolas who dug up the road. I will get the information requested and post here as soon as I can
Standard User bluejonny
(newbie) Tue 23-Sep-14 22:11:20
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Hi MickSharpe -

Thanks for your reply - I assure you we won;t be doing anything like that - we merely want to be shown where the end point is and then see if we can get a provider to join them. All we need is the advice. We have no problem digging up our own drive and laying coax in suitable trunking or conduit. We can even get the tarmac we need.

Cheers
Standard User omnius
(member) Wed 24-Sep-14 00:50:37
Print Post

not sure if this is of help but found it via google.....

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/Northgate/Documen...

It seems to be the something about pre ducting new builds for virgin.
Standard User worldofadsl
(knowledge is power) Wed 24-Sep-14 11:36:26
Print Post

You don't need to run any cables to your properties just ducting.

You need to use green ducting and install a "swept tee" that comes up at each of the 4 house. You need to make sure the sweep goes towards the cabinet.

You will need products like this http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/telecoms-duct...

You will need to liase with VM because they will either need to install a foot way or a branch to make the ducting part of their network.

The ducting HAS to be green.
Standard User MattJessop
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Sep-14 19:29:21
Print Post

[re: worldofadsl] [link to this post]

Why does it HAVE to be Green ?
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 24-Sep-14 19:40:01
Print Post

[re: MattJessop] [link to this post]