General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 25-Sep-14 01:35:40
Print Post

SSE Broadband

[link to this post]

SSE sell broadband and phone services at what appears to be very reasonable prices.
Why are they not listed on this website?

http://www.sse.co.uk/PhoneAndBroadband/Products/

Michael Chare
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 25-Sep-14 01:37:02
Print Post

Re: SSE Broadband

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

Perhaps they haven't asked to be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Sep-14 01:55:27
Print Post

Probably they're just a reseller, like Tesco or JLP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:08:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Probably they're just a reseller, like Tesco or JLP.

Certainly those two are not listed, and certainly I think this site should try to list all ISPs as otherwise you can't trust comparison lists.

Interestingly, the government appears to want to stop the likes of moneysupermarket.com from having contracts with energy suppliers which stop the suppliers from selling at a lower price elsewhere. The effect of this is that there is no competition between the comparison web sites which the government think is wrong.

I would prefer to be able to trust the comparison sites!

Michael Chare
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:18:36
Print Post

The problem is the package details quickly get out of date. So, unless the company actively engage with telling TBB about their products and agree to update them when they change then the data is worse than useless.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:18:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Interestingly, the government appears to want to stop the likes of moneysupermarket.com from having contracts with energy suppliers which stop the suppliers from selling at a lower price elsewhere. The effect of this is that there is no competition between the comparison web sites which the government think is wrong.

Is there a comparison site comparing the prices of the various comparison sites? And if there is more than one comparison site comparing the prices of the various comparison sites, is there a comparison site comparing the prices of the comparison sites comparing the comparison sites?

tongue

Oliver.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:28:16
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

To answer your first question - Yes.

There are sites now advertising on TV that do comparisons of comparison sites. Can't remember their names but they do exist (certainly around insurance type products). I'm sure if enough of these setup then they will be mega sites that compare sites that compare comparison sites...

EDIT : Here's one

Edited by ian72 (Thu 25-Sep-14 12:29:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:32:20
Print Post

Be prepared for a list of over 1,000 providers by the time you include the SME providers.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oliver341
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:32:37
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Damn, I had hoped I was just being flippant!

Of course the consumer still loses out in the end despite all these seemingly helpful comparison sites, because all the affiliate commission has to be paid for... by the consumers.

Oliver.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 25-Sep-14 12:33:48
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Pretty spot on, happy enough to do a basic listing for speed test purposes for almost any provider who has an IP block we can use to identify them.

You'd be surprised how many providers are asked about

a) IP blocks
b) Coverage data

Who give nothing back.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to