General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User falko89
(regular) Fri 26-Sep-14 06:23:44
Print Post

More speed issues?

[link to this post]

I posted this thread a couple of month back, http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/4347900-res... All cleared up and was working fine until now. I noticed last week when an iOS update came out it was taking 23 hours to complete which obviously wasn't right, A speed test revealed less than 2mb speed. But this has been on going since, less than 2mb speed.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.9 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps

I phoned EE and had to start right at the bottom again, even though I had these issues a couple of months back, the problem hit me on the face straight away, IP Profile is stuck at 2mb, but try telling that to EE, so once again they are investigating, Is the IP Profile the issue or could it be my previous issue cropping up again?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 26-Sep-14 09:24:28
Print Post

Re: More speed issues?

[re: falko89] [link to this post]

Might be stuck or just the usual 1 to 5 day period for it to recover on old IPStream product

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 26-Sep-14 21:33:20
Print Post

Please post your full router stats. For a BrightBox: login and go to Advanced Settings/ System/ ADSL Status. Also post 'Time Connected:' from initial Status page. Full router stats are key to any speed issues.

I'm interested in the error stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Sep-14 00:00:09
Print Post

I think you will find that was Apple. I started the same and aborted it. Some hours later it took minutes.
Standard User ukhardy07
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Sep-14 02:07:37
Print Post

Generally for a profile of 2Mbps to be set, your line at some point has to sync at 2Mbps or below. If your line was consistently syncing at 8Mbps you would never get a 2Mbps profile.

E.g 1. A standard line would sync at 8Mbps, it would then keep a sync around this speed for numerous years, never dropping less than say 7.5Mbps.

A profile of around 6.5Mbps would be applied and this would stay the same for years.

E.g 2. A poor line. This line syncs at 8Mbps. A profile of around 6.5Mbps is set.
A few weeks later, due to say some interference on the line, the sync drops from 8Mbps to 2Mbps.
NOW a profile of 2Mbps is set.
The user reboots the router, it now syncs back at 8Mbps as the interference is gone. If this 8Mbps sync stays for numerous days, say a week or so, then the profile will go back to 6.5Mbps or higher and speeds will rise a week or so later.

E.g. 3
A poor line. Syncs at 8Mbps. A 6.5Mbps or higher profile is set.
A few days later due to interference the sync drops to 2Mbps.
A 2Mbps profile is applied.
The user reboots their router, it syncs at 8Mbps as the interference on the line is now gone.
The profile remains at 2Mbps. It usually takes a week or so for the profile to go back to 8Mbps.
The line is now syncing at 8Mbps with a 2Mbps profile (like your line now)
Say 3 days into the 8mbps sync, the line gets more interference, it now syncs at 2Mbps again. Say this reoccurs over and over...
In this case the 2Mbps profile would remain indefinitely as the line is never stable enough for the profile to get re-lifted.

As you can see, a normal and stable line like example 1 would never get a profile of 2Mbps. This is most of the lines in the UK.

So you must question why you are regularly getting a 2Mbps profile. It does not indicate that EE is a bad provider, it indicates that your line is probably performing badly.

Now lets work on the assumption that the 2Mbps profile was created by some random interference that wont come back. In this case it should re-lift in a few days. If it's due to an issue such as the third example above, you'll face this issue over and over even if you get EE to reset the profile it'll just come back. In that case you need to get the underlying issue resolved.

Hope I make some sense smile
Standard User falko89
(regular) Sat 27-Sep-14 07:38:28
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

These are my stats, it was restarted on Thursday as they made me do a reset.

Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode Automatic G992.1(G.DMT)

Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 448 (Kbps.)
Downstream 8128 (Kbps.)

Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 29.0 dB 13.0 dB
Line Attenuation 3.0 dB 5.5 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 11.9 dBm 11.9 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 0 0
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 0 0
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 0 0

Statistics
Received Cells 17434911
Transmitted Cells 3407522
Standard User falko89
(regular) Sat 27-Sep-14 07:41:06
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

I understand what you are saying. Its now out of EE hands again and over to BT Openreach.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 27-Sep-14 09:07:14
Print Post

BT Wholesale nothing to do with Openreach who do not run adsl hardware

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Sep-14 12:24:42
Print Post

Where's the Time Connected for those stats? Are we assuming it's 2 days?

Whatever, it is showing no errors at all for the period, which is unusual. It's probably been running too short a time to tell. Run it for a few days and repost those stats together with Time Connected.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to