General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User joebeaven
(newbie) Tue 30-Sep-14 15:47:20
Print Post

Steps To Take When Moving House And Switching ISPs

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm moving house soon and would appreciate some advice on what steps to take to ensure I have the smallest interruption to my broadband. I'm currently on standard broadband with Home Telecom and I'd like to switch to fibre optic with TalkTalk at the new house. Please can someone tell me the steps I need to take?

Thanks,
Joe
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Sep-14 15:51:36
Print Post

Re: Steps To Take When Moving House And Switching ISPs

[re: joebeaven] [link to this post]

New house? Does it have someone living there already? If so they need to tell their provider to cease the service, so your new order can go through.

As you are moving AND changing providers, it is just the same as never having had broadband or phone before.

You need to get your order into the system ahead of move in data, since leadtimes can be two to three weeks for new lines and fibre service. Varies wildly based on the area.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 30-Sep-14 15:59:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Also need to give notice to the current provider to avoid paying them after the move.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Sep-14 17:54:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If so they need to tell their provider to cease the service, so your new order can go through.
When do they do that? Surely they'll want their connection to continue up till leaving day? So the new occupant cannot order their connection until moving-in day with the resultant delay (15 days?) while it is provisioned and installed.

I have an instance with just an EE House Move, which they say will be EEasy wink, where they are refusing to even take the order for the house move until the BB at the new house is ceased.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 30-Sep-14 19:40:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Brain might have got a messed up with %'ages and such like, but is there not a mechanism that if a cease is in the system that a new provider can get a SIM Provide into the system. I know it does not always work out, but some I thought were lucky.

Big problem is the wholesale systems often have several paths due to the various versions in use and some providers prefer a certain path.

One option if you want it is to order a Brand New line at a property, this should be able to progress through the systems, the end result being the property ends up with two master sockets.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 01-Oct-14 07:09:03
Print Post

It also depends on when the OP knows the move date. If it is a house purchase then it may only be a week before and until you get that final date most people won't start the process of cancelling their broadband/phone.
  Print Thread

Jump to