General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User SimpleSimon1
(newbie) Sun 05-Oct-14 12:01:45
Print Post

Moving House - Best Way to Handover a Broadband Connection

[link to this post]

Currently, our line is with BT, the ISP is Coms (cough, spit!) and our local exchange (Thatcham, Berks) is unbundled. We are moving to a new build at the end of October which hasn’t yet got a phone line. Therefore, we want to terminate our Coms broadband (hurrah!) and will sort out phones/broadband when we move in (we can live with being ‘off net’ for a while).

Our buyers want to set up their broadband really quickly and Sky (their current ISP) has suggested that they should be able to do it in a few days (maybe cos they can supply LLU services from Thatcham exchange?). So if we just tell Coms to cease broadband to our address (as opposed to simply getting a MAC number), will this affect the speed by which our buyers should be able to get their broadband connection set-up i.e. what is the most efficient way for them to 'take over' our broadband connection (but defo not our ISP smile

Couldn’t find an answer to this in the Moving House FAQ so all responses/thoughts would be much appreciated

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 05-Oct-14 13:34:51
Print Post

Re: Moving House - Best Way to Handover a Broadband Connect

[re: SimpleSimon1] [link to this post]

Mac is irrelevant as its a house move. So you need to place a cease.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Oct-14 14:14:25
Print Post

What Andrew says. If you place a cease then all is cut off final bills are settled and then the new occupant will be able to order as the line will be stopped and so (assuming it's not physically disconnected from the exchange) it will be a 24 hour start again and then they can order broadband.

I had a new line installed for free when I took out an 18 month fibre contract so you might also get that. I say 18 because these days you can get from 1-6-18

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Oct-14 20:23:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

MAC is irrelevant at existing house too as it's going to Full LLU.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Oct-14 22:48:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In fact, what would happen if Sky immediately just placed an order for the new resident?

Might that work, and also avoid the Cease fee the OP is worried about in his other thread?

Assuming the new resident is happy for the OP to use the new Sky connection until move day, on payment of a pro-rata monthly amount.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Oct-14 23:04:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Again, most, if not all, ISPs charge the Cease Fee when MAC is not used, as it won't be in this case.

Don't forget the phone. BT will send OP 'Sorry you leaving us; you sure?'.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 05-Oct-14 23:41:10
Print Post

None of that is relevant on a move to MPF with the seller and buyer cooperating. There is no cease charge assuming Sky do it properly, i.e. normally.

As far as Coms are concerned it is a simple migration away and the OP ignores the BT enquiry - he only has to reply if it is against his wishes. Which it wouldn't be.

Coms and BT aren't going to know about the name change.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Oct-14 01:24:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Isn't it? I I think it is!
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There is no cease charge assuming Sky do it properly, i.e. normally.
Oh, yes, there will be a cease charge:
4.2 ... On all Broadband Services the Customer will be charged the current cease fee upon ceasing the Service, but this is not applicable if the Customer migrates away to another provider using a MAC
Yes, that is followed by 'doing it properly', but that is a proviso to the aforementioned not an alternative (or). Decompose the English tongue.

Sky don't use MAC, in the understood sense, even when presented with one. Therefore cease fee applies.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 06-Oct-14 01:25:24)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 06-Oct-14 03:27:16
Print Post

There is no Openreach charge for BTW + WLR migration to Full LLU (MPF). Never has been. You must be catching memory lapses from me.

Perhaps you misunderstood my suggestion. That they migrate the line and broadband here and now to Sky, with the Sky account having the new name.

Standard User vimto_girl
(committed) Mon 06-Oct-14 10:57:43
Print Post

My sister and brother-in-law moved house last year, they needed broadband quickly and were stressing how to do it, what if the seller didn't cancel for the move in date, when could they order, how could they prove they were moving in etc.

I didn't have the answer. They rang their ISP (EE), and it was as easy as giving the address and move in date. They arrange it with the seller's ISP, who give the seller notification/ask for confirmation, then either party can later cancel or change the date too. They got the broadband activated on the move in date. I presume the houseseller therefore shouldn't request a cease first, though I don't know if this does or does not slow or cause problems in practice.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to