General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 14:24:03
Print Post

Slow Fibre Versus faster satellite...

[link to this post]

Hi - I have a potential conundrum!

I have been using various Satellite BB options for 4 years now. I don't need to tell you all the pros and cons - but I've had no choice. I am miles from the nearest exchange (Burbage) at postcode SN84NT

It seems that things are on the move locally with FTTC coming to my local village (Wootten Rivers). I understand I will now be 1.2km from this CAB.

A proposed 24mb service is proposed to this cabinet, with therefore a 1.2km copper degradation - leaving me with.... maybe 7mbps, if that?

Would I be better with this, than my current, flawed, frustrating 20mbps satellite service?
Is it at all possible to have a private extension of fibre closer to my home or FTTP?

Very many thanks for your thoughts
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 07-Oct-14 14:31:41
Print Post

Re: Slow Fibre Versus faster satellite...

[re: trumpet272] [link to this post]

satellite better for bulk downloading, iso's, movies, steam etc.

slow fibre would be better for browsing, gaming and any other latency sensitive stuff.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Oct-14 14:40:04
Print Post

I think you are misunderstanding the speeds.

If this is delivered by the local BDUK project, then the cabinet will offer up to 80 Mbps for those very close (within 200 metres) with the speed dropping to probably around 15 to 24 Mbps at a distance of 1.2km.

It would also have a low latency, that is hardly affected by the copper distance.

A private extension would involve significant amounts of money, as that 1.2km would need the fibre installing so in the £3,000 and upwards region.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 15:07:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks - not sure about the delivery, I've just been told its 24mbps FTTC not 80mbps. But I will try and find out more. Is 80 a standard industry delivery as I've heard this figure mentioned before in this context.

That makes a huge difference - and if it is indeed only 24mps I would certainly consider a private extension - although are these a political administrative red tape nightmare?!

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Oct-14 15:15:28
Print Post

If its a council based project with a contract awarded to BT then the cabinet with utilise VDSL2 which runs at up to 80 Mbps in the configuration Openreach use (the arm of BT that run the cabinets).

The 24 Mbps may arise because the projects often talk of delivering 24 Mbps to 90 percent of the coverage area, but reality is that many get a lot higher than the 24.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User trumpet272
(newbie) Tue 07-Oct-14 15:30:37
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Most interesting and helpful - thanks so much. It is indeed a Council led project.

I guess I should wait and see, I just would like to see the back of Satellite!

Thanks again.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 07-Oct-14 15:53:27
Print Post

Once your cabinet is FTTC enabled you will be able to get estimates for your address, (never trust a postcode checker). If you have a "BT" landline that is the best thing for the checker.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User ian007jen
(committed) Tue 07-Oct-14 19:53:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmmm.

I wonder if this is in the wild already http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4361752-ftt...

may tie up to 24Mb

Ian
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Oct-14 21:01:18
Print Post

[re: ian007jen] [link to this post]

It isn't. The figure the OP quotes is an estimate based on D-side line length from the cabinet as Robertos says.

Print Thread

Jump to