General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sheepster
(newbie) Wed 08-Oct-14 09:30:59
Print Post

PPP and LCP errors

[link to this post]

I've been having a lot of issues with my broadband where it syncs up ADSL layer fine, but then goes into a cycle trying to connect ppp, sometimes for 20 hours, until it does eventually authenticate and give me an ip. Once it completes ppp successfully, the connection usually stays up for a few days

What would cause this to happen? If ADSL sync is good and stable then it can't be a line fault, can it?

I even noticed that with an SNR margin of 45db it was doing the same thing, connected ADSL at 256kb downstream but then could not complete ppp for several hours. Until this problem started to happen it was quite happy on a 6db margin, I'm not that far from the exchange.

Talk Talk are useless, they want to send an engineer to my house, even though I am connected direct to the test socket, no phone connected and have tried 2 different routers, microfilters, cables, etc, all with the same result!

Any ideas?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 08-Oct-14 22:10:24
Print Post

Re: PPP and LCP errors

[re: Sheepster] [link to this post]

The engineer if free is usually way to go as they get independent check that not you,

45dB noise margin sounds very wrong. What are full line stats when its working?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Oct-14 22:45:02
Print Post

Re: PPP and LCP errors

[re: Sheepster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sheepster:
I even noticed that with an SNR margin of 45db
Surely that's your Attenuation?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to