General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User LockyOK
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:07:52
Print Post

Problems changing Broadband provider

[link to this post]

Having come to the end of a 12 month contract, in order to get the "Best available deal", I am trying to migrate my Broadband service from one provider to another without being forced to change a land-line number that I have had for years.

When I tried to do this a while back, the intended recipient provider (BB-NEW) told me that as a result of something that my existing provider (BB-OLD) had done they would have to give me a new land-line number.

I contacted BB-OLD for an explanation and was told:
Your services are provided through the BT Openreach network as BT own the line, we are not allowed to make any changes to the line as it has to remain compatible to all providers that also use the BT Openreach network, if there are any faults on your service it is BT Openreach that come to fix it on our behalf.

Your services are provided as an "MPF Service" this means you account is bundled so you pay only one bill for homephone and broadband, this is a common practise that was also used by your previous provider before transferring to us.

If your new provider does not have the facility to provide you an "MPF Service" this may cause them to want to install a new line, but this is not something Tesco are responsible for as the issue lies with your new provider.

As previously advised to transfer your services and number just simple make an application to a provider by providing them with your current phone number and address.

I tried again and after they accepted my order and me promised lots of sooper add-on goodies I have just been told by BB-NEW that they can't actually do it:
Unfortunately it has not been possible to transfer your current telephone number across to us and as a result we have cancelled your order. If you still want to get great value and are happy to change your number please call us.

Can someone who understands these things please explain and help me to get away from this nonsense . . . PLEASE?

I would simply move to BT except that they offer absolutely appalling value for money and seem to have woeful, unresponsive customer services.

Many thanks in advance smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:14:11
Print Post

Re: Problems changing Broadband provider

[re: LockyOK] [link to this post]

Its down to number porting agreements and whose number block the number originally comes from.

If its years old and was originally a BT number, then porting should be no great issue. Some providers prefer to do a new line provide rather than a 'migration' when switching from certain services, their choice and if they do not want to play ball on doing a number port it is tell them why you are not going with them and move on.

Without knowing the history of number, current and service you are trying to go to it is hard to say a lot more.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LockyOK
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:49:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi Andrew

Thanks for that. I have probably had the land-line number for about 30 years! Over that time I have used a regular Hayes spec. Modem (e.g. with Demon), ISDN (with BT) and then ADSL (with various providers).
I have got into the habit of changing provider every 12 months or so because no provider seems to value loyalty frown I have NEVER had a problem before.

I was trying to migrate from "Tesco" to "TalkTalk".

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:58:49
Print Post

You can find out who owns your number here http://www.ukphoneinfo.com/locator

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:05:46
Print Post

Does the checker https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html recognise the telephone number?

The Tesco service uses LLU, but did not think it used full LLU and TalkTalk are often keen to do new line or new number for full LLU to full LLU moves.

Once we know what the checker makes of the telephone number a bit more advice can be given.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User LockyOK
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:06:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks - it says my number is owned by BT. I'm not sure that that helps much . . . frown
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:07:45
Print Post

You could port the number to a VOIP provider before you move

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:09:59
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

People can, but then means number is tied to requiring internet access and just adds complexity that millions do not want.

Standard User LockyOK
(newbie) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:11:38
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks again, tried btwholesale.com/includes/adsl and got the helpful response:

"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."

Excellent - what now? I think I'm gonna scream.

Edited by LockyOK (Thu 09-Oct-14 12:13:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 09-Oct-14 12:31:20
Print Post

It would be easier fro us if you tell us who it is you wish to move to. It seems you are with Tesco at the moment, so probably Vodafone Wholesale for both the broadband and phone. (If you are in their network area).

Many ISPs should be able to get you back with your own number, but may require a minimum term. It's one of the drawbacks of having a full LLU service frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 09-Oct-14 12:32:44)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to