General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bioraptor
(learned) Sat 11-Oct-14 12:09:52
Print Post

Contract question,any advise welcome.

[link to this post]

Situation : I am currently with BT under a 18month contract.
I believe I am half way through my obligations to the contract.
My circumstances although have changed,the property where the BT line is connected is not mine,its my ex partners.
Our relationship as broken down and I am moving back to my family members while I seek accommodation.
My question is this,when I phone BT and explain my situation to them.
Am I still obligated to carry on the existing contract remaining.
Or once I move back to Yorkshire can BT still bill me for the remaining contract still out standing.

Thanks for any advise.

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Sat 11-Oct-14 12:23:02
Print Post

Re: Contract question,any advise welcome.

[re: bioraptor] [link to this post]

Do you want to take your broadband contract with you? If so, there is useful information here.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Oct-14 12:24:13
Print Post

They can bill you for the remaining months and close off the contract. Thus allowing you to sever the service

The cost shpuld be less than the remaining months a lot of the time due to changes enforced by Ofcom

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bioraptor
(learned) Sat 11-Oct-14 15:14:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

At the moment I will not be taking the service with me due to me having no address of yet.
Like I say I will be stopping with my father for a sort time.

I just did not want to leave BT in the dark but I feel robbed that they can bill me for the months left on my contract.
I would have thought due to unforeseen circumstances they would just bill me the month in areas.

I may be leaving my ex partner but we have a Daughter an it would be unfair to leave them with my bills.

I really do not know what to do for the best but there is no way I will be paying nearly 9 months remaining on my contract because I am moving homes.

Thanks for the reply.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Oct-14 15:32:27
Print Post

Its the 'joys' of contracts.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc...

Lists the relevant charges. In terms of unforeseen circumstances, while it may seem harsh, I doubt break-ups feature on that list. If you were buying their service at another location they might have waived or added the outstanding months to a new contract.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 11-Oct-14 15:44:33
Print Post

Well, if you're not taking out a new contract and you're leaving your address then I think you will be able to walk away from the contract.

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 11-Oct-14 16:37:36
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Walk yes, but still under the obligations to pay what is owed under the contract.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Oct-14 16:56:06
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Walk, yes, but
In reply to a post by bioraptor:
I may be leaving my ex partner but we have a Daughter an it would be unfair to leave them with my bills.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User bioraptor
(learned) Sat 11-Oct-14 19:31:55
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question.
I have the weekend to think it all over and of cause your opinionated guidance will no doubt help me in some respects.

Once again thank you 'Thumbs Up'

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 12-Oct-14 01:06:39
Print Post

Do they want broadband? Could some amicable arrangement be made whereby you pay half, at least until the end of the contract?

What about the phone line itself? Does your ex want to keep that? If so, that part isn't "your bill".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to