General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User daisydriver
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 13:27:44
Print Post

Someone help with new build and NTE box

[link to this post]

Hi there , I really need some advise .Me and my partner moved into a new build two weeks ago . I phoned my telephone company (axis) asking if they had booked an engineer for the new line to be inastalled. They said there was a problem showing and would look into it .

Anyway fast forward a few hundred phone calls later and I was told I needed to get the project manager of the new build to phone a guy called Terry Wilmott at new connections to arrainge an engineer to visit .

I was told that an engineer would visit this coming Monday 20th October to install the phone line. Despite this I have noticed that all the houses that have a working phone line have all got a grey box outside there properties , nte boxes I believe there called.

So I phoned BT connections this morning quoting my reference number and he told me that an engineer hadn't been booked to to the contractors not fitting the grey box ready for Monday so the line can be connected.

I really are at a loss as to what I have to do now , Is it BT's job to install the grey box or is it down to someone else.

I really need to have a phone line asap , due to having a brother who suffered a massive stroke three years ago and if he's ever in trouble he just gives me a quick call. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do next to get this grey box installed so I can get a phone line ..

thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 13:43:05
Print Post

Re: Someone help with new build and NTE box

[re: daisydriver] [link to this post]

http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/conne... goes through what developers can/should do and without knowing what has been installed its difficult to say where you fit in the process.

Once everything has been signed off then its down to the usual Openreach orders via your retailer, but if the developer is meant to be installing the basic ducting then Openreach is not going to rock up and do their job.

When developers install the basic ducting they usually do the homes in one go, as a lot cheaper for both developer and Openreach.

If you are having to do lots of chasing suggests the job has not been signed off and/or there may be issues with the work that has been done, or its just Openreach computers not recognising you yet.

On new build estates the Openreach code powers only apply if the road has been adopted by the council too. Without code powers any work needs approval from the developer too.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ribble
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 16-Oct-14 13:47:54
Print Post

Who booked the installation and through which service provider, are you sure it was through BT and not A.N.Other provider?
Do the grey box's have a curved top? Openreach stopped using external NTEs a few years back.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 14:45:25
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Upon closer inspection it isn't a box as such but more like a long grey casing with BT on it , but on other properties where this grey thing is mine just has wires coming through from house and a plastic tube going into the ground where i presume the wires from the green box is ......Hope this makes sense , if an engineer does come Monday would he likely wire it up?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 16-Oct-14 15:00:07
Print Post

Believe there should be a blue pull through rope in the pipework ready for them to pull the copper line through.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 16-Oct-14 15:37:57
Print Post

Some pictures of what you have (or don't) and your neighbours would be useful.

Can you get some and host them on a suitable site and post links here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 16:56:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Believe there should be a blue pull through rope in the pipework ready for them to pull the copper line through.

Yes there is a blue rope running into the pipe ready to be pulled up
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Oct-14 17:17:55
Print Post

So the underground copper feed cable is not in place. If you get a decent Openreach engineer they should be able to do it on the day, if you get a contractor you are likely to get fobbed off.

Good luck.

Standard User unknown101
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 17:21:29
Print Post

So the developer is responsible for installing all ducting upto each property and along the streets and provide a draw rope to the doorstep through this duct. The grey thing you see going up the wall is basically external trunking and the top grey cap which will be secured using four screws is just for protection of the underground cable (usually two pair but sometimes five pair) directly into the property to the master NTE (usually next to the front door). Problem with new builds are the internal wiring is usually done by the electricians and is star wired (most new builds will have a socket upstairs and downstairs depending on what was purchased if any extras etc.) what Openreach will be waiting for is the cable to be pulled in and jointed to existing cables.

I'd chase the developers to get the work signed off with Openreach new sites.
(newbie) Thu 16-Oct-14 17:44:14
Print Post

[re: unknown101] [link to this post]

Just spoke to the site manager and explained that there were still four houses need wiring up , he said oh ive got to phone them tomorrow to get the appartments wired up , i thought all the houses were done !!!! He said he will book remaining houses in at same time [censored] .....still going to play dumb when engineer comes Monday and offer him tea and bacon and egg see if he will do kt for me
  Print Thread

Jump to