General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steadydriver
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:33:54
Print Post

Will change away from Postoffice Imrpove Stability of ADSL

[link to this post]

Hi

I'm after a bit of advice we are with the Post Office for unlimited Broadband. Where we live were are only on an old ADSL exchange and get about 2mbps.

We accept this, but our internet just seems to intermittantly work or fail. It some times doesnt work for hours then the next day without doing anything it works.

We've logged calls with Postoffice, then then do a line check or get openreach to look at it and say its ok. Then a few hours later it stops working again.

What I want to know is if I change to another provider could this solve the issue, or is it likely to be the same?

Any help would be appreciated
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:40:18
Print Post

Re: Will change away from Postoffice Imrpove Stability of AD

[re: steadydriver] [link to this post]

It depends on what is causing the issue, if it is a line issue then moving away won't directly change anything.

If you really want the best chance of a fix then you may be best to move to AAISP. They cost more but are usually very good at tracking down faults and should work hard on your behalf to hopefully rectify it.

No guarantee that they will be able to fix it but if anyone can it is probably them.

As an aside it is remotely feasible that it could be something at the ISP or the exchange that a change of ISP could fix. Especially if changing to LLU as that would change a higher percentage of the kit. But if it doesn't you could find yourself locked into a contract with no benefit.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Oct-14 08:43:54
Print Post

What line stats does your router report ? Attenuation, snr, sync rate, error count and the like ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 23-Oct-14 11:16:40
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
... you may be best to move to AAISP.
No guarantee that they will be able to fix it but if anyone can it is probably them.
There is a guarantee that if they don't get it fixed within a month you can leave without penalty and get your month refunded.

Whether that is just the broadband, or broadband and line rental, I don't know. But there is this condition - "ADSL requires a working PSTN line, if the PSTN line has a fault then this will need to be resolved first".

As we don't know what the fault is, the OP would need to speak to them before migrating to them. There's also a "Try before you buy" bit on that page, which might help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 23-Oct-14 12:49:43
Print Post

Will be TalkTalk with Post Office not good on non LLU exchange
Also if you have bog standard Zyxel Router this not best for long line.
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 13:13:24
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Hi Thanks for all the help

I've got a Zytel Router, which I have to have on for the Line Tests according to the post office, but I've also got an old net gear which seems more reliable espeically with wireless. However neither work at the moment when the ADSL is not working.

Has anybody got any recommendations for a good wireless router which keeps the ASDL connection up and has a good wireless range?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 23-Oct-14 13:22:17
Print Post

Swings and roundabouts.

What model of Netgear they vary wildly in perceived reputation for long lines.

2Wire 2700 routers were generally considered good for long lines. But before chasing the Narnia of the best router, look at current router stats and how things vary, for all we know at the moment the ADSL might be stable, but the issue is the connection from exchange onwards that is broken.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 23-Oct-14 19:43:22
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi
It's a Netgear DGN1000 and ways always reliable in my previous house. Are they any good?

Also does anybody know if is there any software for Linux where I can say over a 48 hour period monitor the ADSL Connection speed / line reliabilty?

Cheers
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 24-Oct-14 12:05:56
Print Post

Just to reiterate MrS's comment. The 2wire 2700 hubs supplied in the UK on BT Business services are normally very good for long lines. You need to unlock it http://bt2700hgv.tripod.com/141.htm has details. They handle very low SNR margins extremely well and if you are seeing a large swing investing in one could be advantageous. The WiFi is OK but there is nothing to stop you using a second WAP along side it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 24-Oct-14 13:05:04
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The 2wire 2700 hubs supplied in the UK on BT Business services

Not any more I'm afraid, they have been using Hub 3's with a 'business' firmware for well over a year now, and in fact think they are now providing Hub 5's with different firmware.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to