General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ElNitz
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 11:13:00
Print Post

Purchasing house - Working Line Takeover Process & BB

[link to this post]

Hi all

I am kindly seeking a bit of advice from you knowledgeable folk.

I am currently going through a house purchase where there is a current active phone line and broadband service. Since the completion date is not too far away, I have begun the service transfers.

As I work from home, I have a desire for Internet Access as soon as is realistically possible (as no work = no pay) and have contacted my preferred SP to enquire as to how this could be achieved.

I enquired as to whether a Working Line Transfer is possible, I was told yes, but I would need to provide confirmation from the current owners that they are happy for this to proceed - so I contacted the owners who very kindly emailed me the required confirmation. SP now state that they require a MAC address for this transfer to happen - now this is where I am not really too keen at going back to the vendors again, purely because house moves are a stressful enough time as it is and I do not wish to bother them more than I have to.

I've found the following document from OTA2, which details a "NoT Migration Process" here: http://www.offta.org.uk/IndustryBes%20PracticeGuide-...

My question is: Is the SP correct in stating that a MAC is a must for this to happen (considering the only thing I'll be keeping is the Line, not the current broadband) or could the SP instigate the transfer via the Notification of Transfer process without, since it is a Gaining Provider Led method?

Many thanks in advance for the help!

Edited by ElNitz (Tue 04-Nov-14 13:17:27)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 04-Nov-14 12:50:57
Print Post

Re: Purchasing house - Working Line Takeover Process & BB

[re: ElNitz] [link to this post]

Who is the current ISP? If it is TT or Sky Full LLU then a MAC cannot be used. Otherwise ....
In reply to a post by ElNitz:
(considering the only thing I'll be keeping is the Line, not the current broadband)
That's what MAC is for, migrating the BB from 1 ISP to another on a BT WLR line.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User ElNitz
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 12:59:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Hi XRaySpeX

I believe the current ISP is BT.
If a MAC is needed then that is fine, I just don't want to be hassling the vendors more than I have to.

Thanks for your reply.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ElNitz
(newbie) Tue 04-Nov-14 13:29:28
Print Post

[re: ElNitz] [link to this post]

I believe I've found the answer on adslguide's migration guide here (if anyone else experiences this): http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html

I will contact the vendors.

Thank you.
  Print Thread

Jump to