General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 09-Nov-14 14:21:58
Print Post

1 meg fixed rate service

[link to this post]

Hi, moved house and joined PObroadband (terrible!,but thats another issue). Our line is not good and we keep getting very low speeds and drop outs. Its about 7km long. On a gioiod day we get 1.1 meg speed other times its down to 60Kbs.

According to the BT checker, my exchange (Broadhaven) coulkd offer me a 1 meg fixed rate. Would this be better? I know the line wont change, but does this mean it will automatically reconnect at 1meg?

If so how does one go about trying to get this??

Cheers
Woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Nov-14 14:43:27
Print Post

Re: 1 meg fixed rate service

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

The difference it that it would either connect at 1Mbps, or nor at all. So if it sometimes connects at 800Mbps, on a fixed 1Mbps line it wouldn't.

That also sounds like speed test or download speeds you are quoting, not connection speeds.

IIRC the actual connection speed of a 1Mbps line is 1172kbps, which I think would give you a maximum download speed of about 985kbps.

Your broadband is in fact provided by TalkTalk, so probably suffers from the inadequate provision of all non-LLU services, even though I expect it will be TT business Wholesale not TalkTalk Retail. The TalkTalk Retail product is no longer sold, (I expect there are legacy customers), but had a very bad reputation just like Sky Connect.

Are you able to get the line stats from your router, particularly when speeds are bad? What I'm saying above is that you are probably suffering from congestion, not a low connection speed, unless you have already established it is connection speed.

Have you done the stuff we usually recommend here, such as removing the ring wire and preferably also extension cabling? Particularly plug-in extension cables.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Sun 09-Nov-14 16:00:32
Print Post

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/technical/4363554-h...

I notice you posted here, recently.
.Your download is showing download relative occupation of 114%. This will lead to dropouts, The xyxel does not help on your line length and will sync a a higher speed than your line can support leading to problem mentioned above.
Suggest you obtain a BT 2 wire modem off ebay and try that first. I am sure I have seen unit mentioned by RobertoS and others. 2700HGV cheap nothing to lose.
You also mention you share same line from pole. Others may have comment on this.

Edited by flippery (Sun 09-Nov-14 16:35:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 09-Nov-14 17:40:08
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Thank you both.

My router (Currently TPlink) download Sync can be anywhere from 160 to 1792 (today) with bt speedtester showing as low as 0.06 down or today 1.13M. Interestingly on a very bad day my bt speedtester on the ping either doesn't show or shows 180 - 300ms.

here is a BQM chart from a bad day My Broadband Ping

and here is todays My Broadband Ping

I am aware my underlying supplier is TT, but that wouldn't make any difference to this would it? ie would I be better off on BT direct??

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Nov-14 18:35:07
Print Post

Does your router also give the attenuations and noise margins? That variation in sync means either a line fault or a significant source of intermittent interference.

It is not because of the line length.

The high latency could be a direct result of the cause, or indirect in that the DLM has introduced a huge delay factor.

What about my ring wire and Miscellaneous nasties links?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 09-Nov-14 18:58:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Rob, no additional wiring from master socket, corded phone, tried everything including different power point for router and using different router and cables. Current stats

Mode G.dmt

Attainable Rate 1952
rate 1792

SNR 12.3
ATT 63.5

Current btspeed results d/l 1.19
u/l 0.37
Ping 67.88

regards,

Edited by ukwoody (Sun 09-Nov-14 20:44:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Nov-14 19:22:07
Print Post

Can you try the Quiet Line Test (Dial 17070 Opt 2) with corded phone and router disconnected? Any noise report as voice fault to landline provider. Don't mention BB.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 09-Nov-14 19:22:43)

Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 09-Nov-14 19:24:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Rob, have done all that many times. It is an intermitant fault. Not helped by PostOffice broadband who just don't want to know.

regards,
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 09-Nov-14 19:55:12
Print Post

Right, so we have established there is known to be a fault.

With that noise margin your potential connection speed is somewhere between 2800kbps and 3300kbps. Has the line always been like this or was it fine at one time?

CS for your line is by Capita. Grate! (Deliberate typo). Are you in a lengthy minimum term, and how much are you paying for line and broadband?

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Nov-14 20:16:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

EDIT: I'll take that back. You're extrapolating. OP has a good speed for his attn.

@OP: I'm not Rob!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sun 09-Nov-14 20:21:00)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to