General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Bob_s2
(experienced) Thu 13-Nov-14 22:17:05
Print Post

BT want to merger Wholsale Division into Openreach

[link to this post]

BT are planning to merge the wholesale division into open reach. In my view this would further cloud the separation and increase BT's monopoly . Hopefully OFCOM will block this move
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Nov-14 22:38:55
Print Post

Re: BT want to merger Wholsale Division into Openreach

[re: Bob_s2] [link to this post]

Useful detail in this Daily Telegraph report.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 13-Nov-14 22:39:11)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 13-Nov-14 22:40:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:
BT are planning to merge the wholesale division into open reach. In my view this would further cloud the separation and increase BT's monopoly . Hopefully OFCOM will block this move

Do you have a link? NO - I thought not.

And so what if this is true, why should they not be allowed to operate in the way they view to be the most efficient.

BT does not have a monopoly - there is nothing stopping anyone else building a network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 13-Nov-14 22:42:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

You just beat me to it with that linky, guess that's one advantage of having a FTTC BB connection laugh

plusnet user
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 13-Nov-14 22:44:02
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

I did read the whole article before starting my post tongue. Decided there was nothing I could add, as it covers all points.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 14-Nov-14 08:00:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bob_s2:

Absolutely fine on condition Retail / Plusnet are completely divested from this combined entity. This is the system that seems to work pretty well in Japan, NTT East/West can't sell retail products in their own country.

This move, given that Openreach run DSLAMs and active network now, makes sense.

Obviously regulators have to be careful that BT OpenWhole don't play games with wholesale prices and recoup them via the formerly Openreach part of the business. Or perhaps more accurately if some reports are to be believed that they stop playing games.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 14-Nov-14 08:25:57)

Print Thread

Jump to