General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sat 15-Nov-14 10:08:05
Print Post

Second line

[link to this post]

Hello

We live a live a long way from the exchange and currently have no access to fttc. I am being told it is coming in spring but as we work from home and have kids a single 2mbit adsl line really isn't coping well.

I am considering having a second phone line installed so I can balance the traffic. I was just wondering by adding a second line can that slow down / effect the performance of my existing line?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sat 15-Nov-14 12:13:57
Print Post

Re: Second line

[re: kingbiscit] [link to this post]

Yes, there is a small chance that cross talk may increase and reduce the speed however, if it does occur the difference should only be by a small amount and barely noticeable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sat 15-Nov-14 12:34:42
Print Post

Seeing as you have a sensible answer, here's a joke one.

You could save the cost of the second line, and a huge amount of other costs and hassle, by getting rid of one of the kids.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sun 16-Nov-14 13:55:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies guys....

Don't tempt me RobertoS smile
Standard User ukwoody
(experienced) Sun 16-Nov-14 15:51:23
Print Post

Have you looked at a local Wireless Internet Provider for your internet? I live very rurally, exchange due to be upgraded in March. but rollout will take months and since I'm on an EO line 7km long, I dont hold out much hope for anything much next year.

However, I've discovered two great local providers, one of whom can get me speeds of about 14meg with 10gig usage for £19 pcm. Transmitter is off a local turbine. Now admittedly I am trying to get mine through a Welsh Grant, but there are many grants out there if you look. It might be worth an hour on the net doing some research. (and if you really wanted to you can get your phone thru them too saving on line rental...)

By the way, getting rid of the kids is great.... until they come to visit, SIGH!

woody

regards,
Woody (chuntering along in his own inimitable style, using 100 words when 10 would do)
Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Sun 16-Nov-14 15:53:32
Print Post

[re: ukwoody] [link to this post]

Hello

Yes I was using Vispa Wireless, it was great at the start but they over subscribed the network, at peak times ended up being less than 1mbit.
Standard User Fastman2
(member) Sun 16-Nov-14 17:05:59
Print Post

think it depends how close to the cab you are - if close not botther
Standard User witchunt
(member) Sun 16-Nov-14 18:01:24
Print Post

[re: Fastman2] [link to this post]

think it depends how close to the cab you are

read the OP and try again
Standard User Jos390
(newbie) Wed 19-Nov-14 15:34:57
Print Post

Second line

In reply to a post by kingbiscit:
I am considering having a second phone line installed so I can balance the traffic. I was just wondering by adding a second line can that slow down / effect the performance of my existing line?

We added a second line because we wanted to offer internet access to customers and our line was too slow to share. The new line didn't affect the old, and the new line is faster. The old line probably averages about 2.5 Mbps when it's running well, the new line runs at about 3.5 Mbps.

The old line was installed 10 years ago and is still on ADSL whilst the new line was installed on ADSL2+. Hopefully we are getting FTTC soon. It's scheduled for this month but it's been moved back 2 times so far - originally it was due to be installed in June. I have noticed a new cabinet next to the cabinet we're connected to though, so that's a promising sign.

Bws,
Jos

Edited by Jos390 (Wed 19-Nov-14 15:35:31)

Standard User kingbiscit
(regular) Wed 19-Nov-14 15:42:08
Print Post

[re: Jos390] [link to this post]

Hope you do get FTTC Jos, I can't wait for it to come smile
  Print Thread

Jump to