General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ournev
(newbie) Tue 18-Nov-14 14:16:40
Print Post

Plusnet post code problem

[link to this post]

Hi everyone, this is my first post so please excuse me if I am in the wrong place.

I have searched the forum but cannot find anything that refers to my problem.

I want to change from talktalk to an ISP with a UK call centre and Plusnet appears to fit the bill. However I am not allowed to sign up because my post code is HU18. Now before anyone starts mentioning KC, I live about 25 miles away and their system does not cover the HU18 area.

I have spoken to their very pleasant staff and they tell me that they are not allowed a work around. Someone there has mis-programmed their system to exclude all HU post codes and no-one seems to be bothered about it except the customer facing staff.

So, as I can't join Plusnet is there a list somewhere of ISPs with UK call centres that don't charge the earth?

Thanks in advance for any replies
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 18-Nov-14 14:45:14
Print Post

Re: Plusnet post code problem

[re: ournev] [link to this post]

Have you checked your postcode on the BT Wholesale ADSL Checker? It is likely that it doesn't recognised your postcode either and that is the database that pretty much all ISPs use. Given that, it could be just as difficult with other ISPs. Ones that may be able to work around it that spring to mind would be AAISP and Zen. They charge more but may be able to work through the issues.

Or, post on the PlusNet forum on here that you have an issue with PlusNet not recognising your postcode (linking to this post as cross posting is general frowned upon) and hopefully one of the PlusNet reps will pick it up and may have more sway to get this fixed for you.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 14:47:34
Print Post

I'm raised a query on the Plusnet Community Forums where more senior support staff visit.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:38:06
Print Post

I got a reply frown.

It seems that there is no way round that blanket "Computer says no". The rep also says "I have raised an internal problem to get this issue looked at in the future, but it's unlikely to be fixed in a short timescale".

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User ournev
(newbie) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:43:13
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply Ian72. The problem is just with Plusnet and started in July 2014 so I hear. I was previously with Plusnet at this address so it is not a post coding problem.

I could go with BT as they accept the post code but I think their call centres are in India too (there is no element of racism in this by the way).

I will do as you advise and put this on the specific thread for plusnet and see what happens.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:48:33
Print Post

Are you talking ADSLx or FTTC?

Standard User ournev
(newbie) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:50:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RobertoS, From my experience in IT the problem is probably inside an "IF - Then" type of group which would be simple for a programmer to change but getting someone interested enough to authorise the change will be the problem.

There is no point in jumping from the TalkTalk frying pan into the BT fire so as always the ones with the power win and I stay where I am.
Standard User ournev
(newbie) Tue 18-Nov-14 16:52:44
Print Post

FTTC is due in December according to BT. Currently ADSL2+
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 18-Nov-14 17:57:13
Print Post

I've added over there that you were previously on Plusnet at the same address, but I doubt if it will alter anything.

Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 19-Nov-14 08:16:41
Print Post

That is terrible that PlusNet can't fix their own systems - they do seem to have these glitches and clearly need some decent coders to fix their internal applications. This isn't the first time where a computer issue has caused a problem at PlusNet and they seem not to have anyone around who can fix.

Have to say I am strongly considering Zen for my move in the new year. They aren't the cheapest but I am getting the feeling I will be better off there. I was swaying towards PlusNet but there are a few things just lately that are putting me off (despite me being with them before).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to