General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Michael_Chare
(experienced) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:06:37
Print Post

Theresa May’s proposals to track Internet users

[link to this post]

I have heard various descriptions of the Theresa May proposals but they are all different.

Does anyone know what the proposals areally are?

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/23/li...

Michael Chare
Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:18:49
Print Post

Re: Theresa May’s proposals to track Internet users

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I think it's a cunning plan to make ISPs realise that identifying users is much easier if they issue static IPs, and as there aren't enough to go around they'll accelerate the take-up of IPv6 wink

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:20:22
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

... as there aren't enough to go around they'll accelerate the take-up of IPv6
I like it!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 23-Nov-14 20:29:19
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

I think this BBC report is closer than that nonsense report from the Guardian http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30166477

____________________________________________________________________________All_Quiet_on_the_Western_Front__________________
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Nov-14 21:31:47
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Wouldnt a terrorist or a pedophile wanting to hide their IP address just use TOR or something anyway?
Standard User celad2001
(learned) Sun 23-Nov-14 22:48:00
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

thats exactly why this is sinister, they want all traffic easily accessable there can be no reason to expect that anyone doing anything really wrong wouldnt use readily available tools to protect their identity and personal details, big brother is not satisfied with selling us no tax discs and car tracking they want more details about everything, soon we wont need to vote they will be able to have "an election "by ip address and tracking of political sites visited, hmmmm maybe we dont need elections after all..??
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Nov-14 10:42:19
Print Post

[re: celad2001] [link to this post]

I finally got around to watching Captain America Winter Soldier last night. Your post very much reminds me of that - a dystopian future where the information collected tells you who is a potential threat for the future (and this obviously isn't the first film/book to use this premise).

I am not sure if it extends to mobile network - these are pretty much all sharing a small pool of public IP addresses so not sure how far the mobile networks have to identify the traffic coming from an individual handset/device. Given how quickly mobile is taking over as the way to get content then presumably they have thought of this (although that may be giving them too much credit).
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Nov-14 11:37:34
Print Post

[re: bobble_bob] [link to this post]

As someone who isn't a terrorist ect, i have a problem with government wishing to spy on my online activities As i belive that is my right to privacy, the government should stop it's meddling and keep it's power hungry beak well and truly out of the buisness of law abiding public
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Nov-14 11:41:15
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

But how do the government know you aren't a terrorist. I suspect most terrorists would say they aren't otherwise it would be pretty easy to find them...
Standard User bobble_bob
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Nov-14 12:04:41
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

The Government are quick to use the "help fight terrorism" card when trying to pass new laws, when in reality its just an excuse so they can keep closer eye on everyone
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to