General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Hooplaay
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:27:05
Print Post

Which Router is best for my broadband???? To Many Acronyms!

[link to this post]

Hi, Im new to this forum and i have been looking through some of the posts.
It seems i am not so up to date with all these broadband acronyms.

Basically, im looking for a new router to extend my range and stability throughout my house. I have foot thick stone walls and the Bt Home hub 4 just doesn't reach far enough, not even 15 feet. I have non-fibre 8mb broadband (I live in the sticks) and I need a router that can give me better performance and range
Ive been looking at the Asus routers as they have decent reviews but im not entirely sure if they are any good. The asus RT-N66u doesnt seem to have a telephone line socket in the back but the DSL-N66u does, do i need an external modem for the Asus RT routers, if so which one? Or are there better routers. Just to add fibre broadband will be available in my area in 6-9 months so I want a router that has fibre capabilities.
Thank you very much
Paul
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Dec-14 18:39:20
Print Post

Re: Which Router is best for my broadband???? To Many Acrony

[re: Hooplaay] [link to this post]

Foot thick stone walls - that really is the problem and changing the router will not solve it. You might get a slight improvement, however it will still be a problem. I see exactly te same problem on a house in Scotland.

You really need to get some wireless access points (WAPs) and cable those back to a small switch which is connected to your existing router. Install a couple either at ceiling level n the ground floor or floor level upstairs and you should get coverage on both levels.

This will allow you to do a lot more research on what you are going to use when FTTC arrives and you will be able to use the WAPs at that time too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User andyman2
(learned) Wed 03-Dec-14 19:40:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I am also in need of a new WAP. Are there any good performing models that can be recommended?

Andy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Hooplaay
(newbie) Wed 03-Dec-14 21:55:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks
I live in Scotland, my house is just one level and not that large for multiple WAPs I just need that little extra range. Does Ai radar technology eg the Asus routers not improve wireless coverage?
I'm going to buy a new router, I take it I do need one with a telephone line connection?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Wed 03-Dec-14 22:05:26
Print Post

Depending on where you have the router, just get one WAP then and connect it to one of the Home Hub Ethernet ports. Run an Ethernet cable to the end of the router room to as near as possible to where the wifi is weak. You can have the router wifi and the WAP on.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 03-Dec-14 23:03:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hooplaay:
Thanks
I live in Scotland, my house is just one level and not that large for multiple WAPs I just need that little extra range. Does Ai radar technology eg the Asus routers not improve wireless coverage?
I'm going to buy a new router, I take it I do need one with a telephone line connection?

It may do where there are no major obstacles - and you have several called stone walls! You would need a massive increase in power to properly penetrate through them - it just cannot be easily achieved. I have located a WAP in a window sill between a room and the conservatory which gives reasonable coverage provided the WAP can be seen. Get 3" of wall in the way and that is it, nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 03-Dec-14 23:20:55
Print Post

Your network situation sounds just right for the use of wireless Powerline home networking.

Take a WiFi check-up http://www.devolo.com/microsites/ws/uk/index.php

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User Hooplaay
(newbie) Thu 04-Dec-14 11:47:22
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

ok i currently have two powerline adapters in my living room can i add extra powerline adapters to different rooms and add additional routers in different rooms?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Thu 04-Dec-14 12:03:15
Print Post

Watch out with powerline adapters on fibre, when that comes. Depending on your fibre speed, you could easily need the 500Mbps ones.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.4/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 04-Dec-14 14:57:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by Hooplaay:
ok i currently have two powerline adapters in my living room can i add extra powerline adapters to different rooms and add additional routers in different rooms?
As you already have powerline plugs in use, you can extend the network with the same make additional powerline plugs, invest in more powerline homeplugs. You only require the one ADSL2+ router for the connection to your ISP network.

The different router types can be seen within this link. Cable routers will work connected to the BT fibre VDSL modem, but will not work connected to ADSL2+ connection. http://www.ebuyer.com/354171-asus-dsl-n55u-black-dia...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpoUMJ3OeKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5O3gzWFq1w

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box 1 ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Thu 04-Dec-14 15:45:31)

Print Thread

Jump to