General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User stree
(newbie) Sun 14-Dec-14 19:36:58
Print Post

Exchange market rating

[link to this post]

I know there are exchange markets 1,2 and 3, how do I determine which ours is and what do the ratings mean to ISPs?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Dec-14 20:05:24
Print Post

Re: Exchange market rating

[re: stree] [link to this post]

The normal way is to check with samknows. Most of the time it is correct, but can sometimes be slow updating its list of LLU suppliers. The Market Classification is below the LLU list.

Market status is specified by Ofcom. The 1 2, 3 classifications date from Decemnber 2010 and were largely based on the number of LLU + VM Cable suppliers at each exchange. As further LLU suppliers arrived at an exchange the market classification did/does not change.

ISPs have the list. The only one I know of that takes any notice of them from the customer point of view is Plusnet, who give a discount at M2 and M3 ones.

These classifications were replaced earlier this year. We now have Market A and Market B. I thought I had the new list, but cannot find it at the moment. I think Plusnet still use the 1/2/3 list for their discounting.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 14-Dec-14 20:07:59)

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Dec-14 20:21:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was not aware of the new classification being implemented yet. My exchange is still listed as Market 1 everywhere, though I was thinking time was running out for this year.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Dec-14 21:22:33
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

"Everywhere"? Other than samknows and Plusnet? (Plusnet at one time having a provisional A/B classification).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Dec-14 21:25:52
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I'm currently perusing the January 2014 "Further consultation, and do have a 2014 list of the proposed reclassifications. Responses required by 10 March 2014.

Where things are up to I have yet to discover.

Standard User professor973
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 14-Dec-14 21:36:13
Print Post

Samknows which is as good a guide as any, plus the coming soon icon which states means within the next six months has been showing for longer than that, so that is still the indicated target. Still trying to sort the line here after finding my new MK3 VDSL faceplate faulty.

Pulse8 Home Line Rental - Pulse8 XL Plus broadband.
http://www.pulse8broadband.co.uk/
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Sun 14-Dec-14 22:07:15
Print Post

I have now got what seems to be the latest (2014) Ofcom proposal for the changes from M1/2/3/ to MA/B. Excel spreadsheet.

Standard User stree
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 17:10:08
Print Post

Thanks for the replies.
Reason I as is i known it can be a pricing issue, especially for Plusnet who I am considering joining as they still use the 1,2 and 3 market designations for discount levels.
Our exchange has under 1000 subscribers so no plusnet discount.
Saying that, Plusnet non fibre is only £10 pm with low price anytime calls and low line rental if paid in upfront sum.
Seems market rating is not overly influenced by amount of providers using the exchange as much as subscriber levels.
Well at least our exchange is unbundled now, and there will no no contention issues around here with only 250 houses for the cabinet to deal with.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 15-Dec-14 19:09:44
Print Post

The M1/2/3 was determined entirely on existing or soon-expected non-BT Wholesale providers at the time, (late 2010). The number of subscribers was not a direct factor.

Which exchange is it?

Standard User stree
(newbie) Mon 15-Dec-14 19:23:50
Print Post

Wootton North Lincs
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to