General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jeffff
(newbie) Tue 16-Dec-14 19:16:59
Print Post

Fast broadband before christmas?

[link to this post]

Hello,

I've just moved to New Malden - KT3 3JY and am looking to get broadband - ideally I'd really like it before Christmas and if that is only possible with some providers, that will be a factor, albeit no the only one in the decision.

We will have quite high usage - lots of streaming video, downloading, etc by three adults - I'd guess 250gb/month.

We will also be moving to elsewhere in New Malden within 12 months, so ideally would like something that we can switch.

There is currently a BT line in the property, although we only moved in yesterday so have no commitment with them.

Am tempted by TalkTalk/Sky - but for no real reason other than seeing offers recently. Reviews seem mixed, but I don't want to break the bank with one of the high end suppliers.

What would you go for?
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Dec-14 19:30:56
Print Post

Re: Fast broadband before christmas?

[re: jeffff] [link to this post]

If the phone is still working and you know the number, (if you don't know the number, dial 17070), put the number into this checker to get various speed estimates. Including whether or not FTTC is there.

If it isn't working use the full address checker option. Do not use the postcode option.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 16-Dec-14 19:32:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Dec-14 20:58:13
Print Post

Not going to happen, unless you find one like Zen or IDNet willing to put an expedited order through and you pay the extra cost (was an extra £150 if I recall a few years ago)

Last order dates have been and gone generally, TalkTalk and Sky have sent out emails warning of such, and Openreach lead times are generally 2 to 3 weeks.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jeffff
(newbie) Tue 16-Dec-14 21:58:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank-you both for the reply. Sadly my phone seems to have been lost in the move, so I've not been able to check for the actual number. It would seem that we are on this exchange:
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LSMAL

I'm guessing all numbers in my Postcode given we are about 0.5miles to the exchange will be covered by that?

I note that FTTC is available in some areas. This is faster than 21CN right? I'm not sure that it is something we'd be desperate to pay a premium for, so I might be tempted to go for one of the 21CN offerings.

Out of the providers available? Anything that would be recommended?

Or is this all a bit tentative until I can confirm the number/existence of active line?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Dec-14 22:12:15
Print Post

Which is the faster line will depend in precise details, if use house number and postcode in BT Wholesale checker you will find out the comparative speeds.

Even ADSL2+ would be pushing it particularly as you don't have an active line. Time to buy 4g dongle to tide you over

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Dec-14 22:16:22
Print Post

You forgot to try the address option if the phone wasn't working. Just avoid the pure postcode one.

Best to copy and paste the results table and the line above it, including the cabinet number, but removing your address.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

Standard User jeffff
(newbie) Tue 16-Dec-14 22:53:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks, I used the address option and it produced the following table:

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Address XXXXXX on Exchange MALDEN is served by Cabinet 9
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High Low High Low
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 72.2 20 20 -- Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 62.9 20 17.7 -- Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 17 -- 10 to 19.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 17 Up to 1.5 10 to 19.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 7.5 -- 6.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 16-Dec-14 23:24:45
Print Post

Right, a wide choice, as FTTC is giving a maximum and ADSL2+ is probably going to be decent.

As MrSaffron says, unless you go for an ISP that will do "Expedited installs", with "SIM(ultaneous) Provide" you have no chance before Christmas. That puts you into a high initial cost even if it isn't already too late, but also a high monthly rate.

Sky and TalkTalk are both full LLU which is fine in itself but can make leaving them a bit less easy as you will not have a "BT line" which all others need.

I think all ISPs allow a free house move within contract but some require a restart of the contract.

If you go for FTTC then you need to be careful when you move again, as if the new area isn't FTTx enabled, (not all are according to samknows), dropping down to ADSL2+ at possibly a very low speed could be a nasty shock. Research the next address as we just did before deciding whether to go there or not.

Apart from Sky and TalkTalk, for cost your best two are BT and Plusnet. If you don't go for FTTC I would say Plusnet. If you do go for FTTC I'd say any of the four would suit, but if you are all sport fans BT and Sky probably the best.

Print Thread

Jump to