General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 18-Dec-14 10:59:39
Print Post

Users of your Fon spot now get YOUR public IP

[link to this post]

This is people who run Fon routers to provide a hot spot and so get access to the Fon WiFi network. So far as I'm aware there is no change for BT customers who provide Fon hotspots.

Around mid November my own Fon router stopped providing a Fon hot spot as did those of others. It transpired that Fon had withdrawn support for the old La Fonera+ routers and to remain a Fonero you either needed to join BT or buy a new router. It later turned out they would offer a discount but I missed out on that as I didn't wait for their very delayed email explaining that the old routers would no longer be supported.

With the old setup the Fon hotspot traffic was tunnelled through BT and the guest had a different public IP address from the host so any illegal activity could be associated with the correct login.

With the new setup anybody using the Fon hotspot will have the same public IP as the host so cannot be individually identified. At best with some effort Fon may be able to say somebody was logged into the Fon hotspot at the same time the activity was taking place.

There are a couple of mitigations...

Visitor private IPs are allocated on a different subnet so will not have access either to the router GUI or the home network. The router now has a fixed antenna and the range is poor so the chances of anybody using your Fon hotspot are quite slight and even less if you open up the router and disconnect the antenna.

Getting Fon support to first understand the complaint and finally admit it was true took a lot of emails which revealed a disturbing lack of technical understanding and it seems mutual frustration as they eventually suspended my support account. Even that was pointless as it's easy enough to set up another one using a different email address.

So if you run a Fon router be warned - old ones will not be working now. New ones offer no safeguards against misuse by others getting your computers bagged up and taken away by the authorities. Hopefully just the computer gear and you won't be sporting a new orange jumpsuit
Standard User rarrar
(member) Fri 19-Dec-14 18:26:51
Print Post

Re: Users of your Fon spot now get YOUR public IP

[re: kwikbreaks] [link to this post]

Thanks for that heads up.
I had the email saying they were stopping the "Bill" profile so I wouldnt get paid if anyone used my Fon spots.
But nothing in the email about Foneras no longer providing FON access.
Quick check and I can still use them as a WIreless AP, but no FON or friends and family support.
So i might as well uninstall them - end of an era !
Standard User uno
(knowledge is power) Fri 19-Dec-14 20:18:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by kwikbreaks:
With the new setup anybody using the Fon hotspot will have the same public IP as the host so cannot be individually identified. At best with some effort Fon may be able to say somebody was logged into the Fon hotspot at the same time the activity was taking place.

It's actually not a new setup.... The original fon setup before any BT involvement did use the external IP of the connection it was wired to and block any internal access. (I'm talking at the start when they used to send out Linksys routers).

I got the same email and opted for the new device and the routing appears to be no different in that it is just doing basic NAT.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0800 520 0345
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(committed) Fri 19-Dec-14 22:09:24
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rarrar:
So i might as well uninstall them - end of an era !

Fon monitor whether your Fon AP is active or not. If not, you will lose your BT WiFi access.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 19-Dec-14 22:21:42
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by uno:
I got the same email and opted for the new device and the routing appears to be no different in that it is just doing basic NAT.

So presumably you are quite happy for essentially anonymous users to be using your public IP?

Given the range of the new router is so poor it's unlikely anybody will use it there is little risk I suppose but had I known it was going to work that way I probably wouldn't have got another of their routers.
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 19-Dec-14 22:23:20
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

Isn't the way round that to activate it on the HH, then replace that with your own non-FON router? I believe it's the activation status not the sync status that is monitored.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.1/14.8Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 10:00:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

This changed behaviour is for those who run Fon routers not BT customers with a Fon hotspot created by their HH as I indicated in the first post. Fon do monitor that their routers are connected to the internet - if you turn it ff it will eventually show as inactive. After 30 days of activity you lose the ability to log in and use Fon hotspots.
Standard User gt94sss2
(experienced) Sat 20-Dec-14 13:54:30
Print Post

[re: rarrar] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rarrar:
I had the email saying they were stopping the "Bill" profile so I wouldnt get paid if anyone used my Fon spots.
But nothing in the email about Foneras no longer providing FON access.

Ditto. The email I got said:

As such, starting on December 9th, all our current profiles will merge into a single user type, including those with a revenue sharing profile. As before, everyone who shares will continue to enjoy full access to our global Fon Spots, but we will no longer support the revenue collection feature. We will be sending out an email to those members who have credit remaining in their accounts to explain how they should proceed. In any case, your router will continue to work as it did until now, and you will continue to enjoy the benefits of being a member of the Fon community.

which suggests the FON routers should continue to work (I can't check mine atm)?

Regards
Sunil
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Dec-14 20:28:02
Print Post

[re: gt94sss2] [link to this post]

If you had an earlier router than the La Fonera+ which tunnelled through BT you are maybe OK.

This is the full email I got as a la Fonera+ router owner It seems BT probably said they would no longer tunnel Fon users through their network.

Hello Fon member,

Since the launch of Fon in 2006 our mission has been to cover the world with WiFi, offering access and connectivity to a global network. Today we have over 13 million hotspots worldwide and we’re still growing. This past year we launched some great innovations including: the new social Fonera with Facebook login; the Gramofon, a WiFi device that turns your speakers into a WiFi music player; and our new solution for enterprises, Fon WiFi for Business.

For Fon to keep growing and innovating, we need to discontinue our service in some older devices, including your BT Fonera. From December 9th 2014, we will be deactivating the Fon service on these small amount of devices that are still in use. However you can still use it as a WiFi router since the private signal will be working as it did until now.

In order to enjoy the Fon benefits and make the most of our ever-growing network of WiFi hotspots please subscribe to BT, our partner in the UK, to get the latest BT router fully compatible with Fon. You can also buy our latest Fonera - with the same sharing feature as your old device and also a new social layer with Facebook login. Use “removed” as a promo code in the Fon Shop to get a 40% discount!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by clicking here.

Regards,

The Fon Team

Regardless of the then future date in the email the Fonera+s stopped working as Fon APs in November. If you log in to your Fon account it will tell you if your router is still operating.

Edited by kwikbreaks (Sat 20-Dec-14 20:29:03)

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sat 20-Dec-14 21:41:41
Print Post

I got the e-mail about FON Money... saying I could claim the credit on my account as they were discontinuing the normal FON service.

I requested the money to be paid to my PayPal account however it still hasn't been paid.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro:- Speed Test | TBB Ping
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to